Entering false Broadband Pre-registrations

Old February 6th 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default Entering false Broadband Pre-registrations

Is it worth doing, i.e.. is there any chance of getting caught? Has anyone
else done it?
Just wondering as BT have given my village a target that is completely out
of proportion to the target that the surrounding villages got, making it
very unlikely that the required pre-registrations will ever be met
legitimately.
Using a combination of the phone book and Infodisk all the required details
are freely available to register.

Old February 6th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:00:06 -0000, "James"
wrote:

Is it worth doing, i.e.. is there any chance of getting caught? Has anyone
else done it?
Just wondering as BT have given my village a target that is completely out
of proportion to the target that the surrounding villages got, making it
very unlikely that the required pre-registrations will ever be met
legitimately.
Using a combination of the phone book and Infodisk all the required details
are freely available to register.

Honestly speaking ? I'd have to say no, as BT have been known to
check for this type of activitity.

I've not seen any evidence in a while, but a few months back a couple
of exchanges had quite a few pre-regs wipped off as BT felt they were
doing exactly what you are suggesting.
--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net
Old February 6th 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"James" wrote in message
Is it worth doing, i.e.. is there any chance of getting caught? Has anyone
else done it?

A few people have done this in the past and the vast majority have been
caught by ISP's or BT checking the data.

Then those exchanges trigger levels are reduced by however many they think
you have inflated them by - quite possibly deleting some legimate pre
registarations at the same time.

Just wondering as BT have given my village a target that is completely out
of proportion to the target that the surrounding villages got, making it
very unlikely that the required pre-registrations will ever be met
legitimately.

I have to say, that might be your view but frankly BT wouldn't have set a
target at all if they thought that.

What area is it?

If its one of the more recent targets its likely to be 25% of the lines on
your exchange - this is achievable and has been done by many other
people/campaign groups

Remember, you just need people to register their interest, they don't need
to actually buy it...

Your efforts would be better spent in setting up a campaign group/web site
to encourage registrations - there is a lot of help from people who have
already done it successfully and even BT Wholesale helps out with
posters/stickers/mail drops etc..

Regards
Sunil

Old February 6th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

Remember, you just need people to register their interest, they don't need
to actually buy it...

Your efforts would be better spent in setting up a campaign group/web site
to encourage registrations - there is a lot of help from people who have
already done it successfully and even BT Wholesale helps out with
posters/stickers/mail drops etc..

Have to agree with Sunil. Much better doing a campaign. We had a campaign in
our small village where some posters were put up around the village and a
website was created.

The website had some valid points on it stating that in years to come if we
were still Broadbandless it might put potential house buyers off which is a
fair point.

Anyway the guy that organised the campaign went round everybody's house with
a leaflet outlining the benefits of Broadband and how we were the only
village in the area without it. He also put on the flyer that he would be
back round the houses the following week to take names and phone numbers.

If your village isn't that big could you not get together with a few like
minded individuals. Put an advert in the local shop asking for volunteers
to help you.

Back to my story, the organiser of my villages campaign went round every
house and asked them if they would like to be registered and he then
registered everyone that had said yes. Remember they only have to
register, they aren't committed to anything at all. Even your 92 year old
ladies that don't know what the internet is. As long as they have a phone
line. Plus remember all the houses that have had a separate phone line put
in purely to access the internet should register each line.

When the guy was going round the doors we didn't even have a trigger level
from BT. They had said all along that our exchange wasn't viable. A few
months later and we have passed the trigger level and being enabled on 28th
April ;o)

Don't give up.

Steven.

Old February 6th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

James wrote:
Is it worth doing, i.e.. is there any chance of getting caught? Has
anyone else done it?
Just wondering as BT have given my village a target that is
completely out of proportion to the target that the surrounding
villages got, making it very unlikely that the required
pre-registrations will ever be met legitimately.
Using a combination of the phone book and Infodisk all the required
details are freely available to register.

Would be a better idea if you went round and asked people to sign up for it.
Acknowledge that they dont have to buy anything, its just to get the system
going. Not sure on what success rate you would have though

Old February 6th 04, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"James" wrote in message ...
Is it worth doing, i.e.. is there any chance of getting caught? Has anyone
else done it?
Just wondering as BT have given my village a target that is completely out
of proportion to the target that the surrounding villages got, making it
very unlikely that the required pre-registrations will ever be met
legitimately.
Using a combination of the phone book and Infodisk all the required details
are freely available to register.

BT "DO" call some people from this list, FWI about 20% of the people
who registered in my village were contacted, So expect a few confused
people if you intend to use their details, Also I would expect that
the IP address will be logged, so yes they will also be able to trace
it to you, Then what happens next is anyones guess.

Ian
Old February 7th 04, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gavin Gillespie

"Jonathan Buzzard" wrote in message
news

Further more BT have a handy list of every line on an exchange that
is being used to access the internet. So if you are registering a

line
at a property that does not access the interent then BT are going
to be suspicious.

I thought the idea of registration, was to determine how many people
were interested in Internet access using Broadband, so it would be
irrelevant if they are already using the Internet, or not.

Old February 7th 04, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

Further more BT have a handy list of every line on an exchange that
is being used to access the internet. So if you are registering a line
at a property that does not access the interent then BT are going
to be suspicious. If the number of such registrations rises above
a certain level I imagine BT investigate and start removing all
such registrations.

Also BT only accept one registration per property, so it is pointless
registering both lines if you have two.

That is exactly what would happen if a campaign rolled into action. Quite a
lot of people would be registered that didn't even have a PC if it is
anything like our campaign.

As for one registration per property, that is news to me. BT informed me to
register both my lines as the % for the trigger level was worked out on how
many lines were active at the exchange.

Steven.

Old February 7th 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert of northworthige

In article , Beck [email protected]VEbt
openworld.com writes

Would be a better idea if you went round and asked people to sign up for it.
Acknowledge that they dont have to buy anything, its just to get the system
going.

Hmm - is this as clearcut as it once was?...

I got permission just before Xmas from an organisation of which I'm a
trustee to register an interest in BB on their behalf - but of course
I'm not legally able to set up a contract. I had to trip round quite a
few ISPs before I found one I could just register with, without signing
away on an authority I didn't have.
Bob

--
robert of northworthige
Old February 7th 04, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

robert of northworthige wrote:
In article , Beck
[email protected] openworld.com writes

Would be a better idea if you went round and asked people to sign up
for it. Acknowledge that they dont have to buy anything, its just to
get the system going.

Hmm - is this as clearcut as it once was?...

I got permission just before Xmas from an organisation of which I'm a
trustee to register an interest in BB on their behalf - but of course
I'm not legally able to set up a contract. I had to trip round quite a
few ISPs before I found one I could just register with, without
signing away on an authority I didn't have.

Nothing you did was illegal. You are only registering the interest of that
organisation. It does not have to be the bill payer