Broadband ombudsman

Old February 6th 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
>{daZza}

Default Broadband ombudsman

Does one exist? Tiscali will not give me the relevant information about my
account to allow me to migrate. They are trying to force me to cancel and re
apply for broadband to maximise my down time.

--
daZza.............

remove knickers to reply ;-)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old February 6th 04, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"{daZza}" wrote in message
Does one exist? Tiscali will not give me the relevant information about my
account to allow me to migrate. They are trying to force me to cancel and

re
apply for broadband to maximise my down time.

What service do you have from Tiscali? - its quite possible you have one
that won't allow migration.

However, you could always try:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk
http://www.ispa.org.uk/
http://www.arbitrators.org/cisas/
http://www.otelo.org.uk

Regards
Sunil

Old February 7th 04, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message

"{daZza}" wrote:
Does one exist? Tiscali will not give me the relevant information about
my account to allow me to migrate. They are trying to force me to cancel
and re apply for broadband to maximise my down time.

That's apparently quite valid! Even if you are migrating to EXACTLY the
same BT Wholesale product the magic CBUK number won't (by itself)
guarantee anything! Tiscali's lower speed "Broadband" just cannot be
migrated.

I have the 512 broadband, managed to get my cbuk number after 30 mins of
arguing with tecj support in India! took another 20 mins to get the BT line
type, mind you I am not convinced its correct, they reckon its BT Datastream
Office 2000, i find that strange as i have a 512 connectioin?

--
daZza.............

remove knickers to reply ;-)

---

Old February 7th 04, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"{daZza}" wrote in message
I have the 512 broadband, managed to get my cbuk number after 30 mins of
arguing with tecj support in India! took another 20 mins to get the BT

line
type, mind you I am not convinced its correct, they reckon its BT

Datastream
Office 2000, i find that strange as i have a 512 connectioin?

Its possible I am afraid.

If you are on one of the exchanges that Tiscali have "DataStreamed" (i.e.
they also provide the 115K service on it) - then they would have provided
you the 512K service, the same way that they provide the 115K services - its
cheaper for them to do so (throttleing down the connection etc)

What speed does Windows your modem/router show it is connecting at - if it
shows 2.2Mbs then you have a 2MB line that is being throttled down.

If it shows 576K line then you could have either a "BT Home IPSream 500"
which most ISP's use or the DataStream equivalent.

If you have the DataStream version you can't migrate...

If it shows 576K and you are unsure if its IPStream/DataStream call BT on
150 and ask them what services are on your line. They should be able to tell
you - however, they won't be able to help with any migration questions.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 7th 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rusty

Brian McIlwrath wrote:

"{daZza}" wrote:
: arguing with tecj support in India! took another 20 mins to get the BT line
: type, mind you I am not convinced its correct, they reckon its BT Datastream
: Office 2000, i find that strange as i have a 512 connectioin?

Highly unlikely!! - most home 512k connections use "BT Home IPSream 500"

Very likely!! - Tiscali do this because a 2meg datastream line costs
them the same as a 512k datastream line.
Old February 7th 04, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"{daZza}" wrote in message
[...]

Yep it shows 2.2, gonna have to try and time the cancellation and activation
to minimise downtime then :-(

--
daZza.............

remove knickers to reply ;-)

---

Old February 7th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

:
: Highly unlikely!! - most home 512k connections use "BT Home IPSream 500"

: Very likely!! - Tiscali do this because a 2meg datastream line costs
: them the same as a 512k datastream line.

I had through that Tiscali only did this for their 150k product and not the
512 ones!