Netgear DG834G help needed.

Old February 6th 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Netgear DG834G help needed.

Whilst I wait for my BB to be enabled I thought I would try and set up the
wireless side. Having, I thought, followed the instructions I can see router
from my desktop and I can also see it from my laptop via the wireless link.
Despite setting up both machines with the same workgroup name and setting
various drives to be shared I can't see either machine from the other.
Obviously I have done something silly but can't for the life of me see what.
Can somebody please suggest where I might start to look? TIA

Old February 7th 04, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Peter Crosland wrote:
Whilst I wait for my BB to be enabled I thought I would try and set
up the wireless side. Having, I thought, followed the instructions I
can see router from my desktop and I can also see it from my laptop
via the wireless link. Despite setting up both machines with the same
workgroup name and setting various drives to be shared I can't see
either machine from the other. Obviously I have done something silly
but can't for the life of me see what. Can somebody please suggest
where I might start to look? TIA

Do you have any firewalls still running on either/both machines? If so, they
are probably blocking each other. The router will give you protection
against hacking from the internet side of things so you don't need firewalls
on the LAN side - unless you want to restrict outgoing traffic to approved
programs only, in order to prevent trojans calling home. The router has all
outgoing ports open by default but you can add rules to close them all and
then only open a select few.

--
Email address is munged. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old February 7th 04, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:34:58 -0000, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Whilst I wait for my BB to be enabled I thought I would try and set up the
wireless side. Having, I thought, followed the instructions I can see router
from my desktop and I can also see it from my laptop via the wireless link.
Despite setting up both machines with the same workgroup name and setting
various drives to be shared I can't see either machine from the other.
Obviously I have done something silly but can't for the life of me see what.
Can somebody please suggest where I might start to look? TIA

When I set up a wired DG834 for us before DSL arrived, I had to change
a few things away from their factory defaults.

Because I was using Internet Connection Sharing, I had to change the
IP address of the DG834. It gives itself an IP address that you need
for your ICS host.

There may be one or two other things to change. Such as "Use Router As
DHCP Server".

Of course, I had to undo the changes when DSL did arrive.

Of course, a lot depends on your operating system and how it networks.
Pre-XP Windows can be a pig.

MK

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old February 8th 04, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Do you have any firewalls still running on either/both machines? If so,

they
are probably blocking each other. The router will give you protection
against hacking from the internet side of things so you don't need

firewalls
on the LAN side - unless you want to restrict outgoing traffic to approved
programs only, in order to prevent trojans calling home. The router has

all
outgoing ports open by default but you can add rules to close them all and
then only open a select few.

Thanks but not the problem!