Slightly Off-Topic: Newsreaders

Old February 7th 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diesel

Default Slightly Off-Topic: Newsreaders

Greetings

I'm fairly new to newsgroups and am currently using X-News as my news
client.

Is X-News considered to be a decent newsreader or are there others that are
better.

Thanks for your help.
Old February 7th 04, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hewitt

Zapp Brannigan wrote:

diesel wrote:

Greetings

I'm fairly new to newsgroups and am currently using X-News as my news
client.

Is X-News considered to be a decent newsreader or are there others that are
better.

Thanks for your help.

Thunderbird....

Start having a look on www.macorchard.com, there are most of them there.

You've basically asked a taboo question, there isn't a better news
reader, it depends on what you prefer.

Personally I like the rather simplistic MacSOUP, but mainly because it
has a graphical thread display I have yet to find a replcament for.

You may also want to look up Unison and MTNewsWatcherX.

All the best.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v)
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G3)
Old February 7th 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harvey Van Sickle

On 07 Feb 2004, diesel wrote

Greetings

I'm fairly new to newsgroups and am currently using X-News as my
news client.

Is X-News considered to be a decent newsreader or are there others
that are better.

XNews isn't everyone's cup of tea -- some people find the configuration
a bit fiddly -- but apart from a few very strange people, nobody will
question your choice of choosing to use it. It's a solid piece of kit.

I've also used XNews from my earliest days of exploring newsgroups, and
have no desire to switch. I'm not a power user, but the features that
I *do* use, I really like:

- it fixes Outlook Express's bad sig delimiter for me
- I use a bit of scoring; useful
- it lets me have vertical rather than horizontal division of panes for
the message tree and message body
- it automatically changes the relative screen space between the
tree/body when I open messages

That said, there are a lot of free newsreaders out there -- Dialog,
Gravity, etc. (and some new ones, like XanaNews) -- which are probably
well worth trying to see if one of them suits you better.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
Old February 7th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt wrote:

You may also want to look up Unison and MTNewsWatcherX.

My apologies, please ignore my reply. There is a very similarly named
newsreader on Mac OSX, which I had mixed it up with.

Old February 8th 04, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Smith

In article , diesel noemail
says...
Greetings

I'm fairly new to newsgroups and am currently using X-News as my news
client.

Is X-News considered to be a decent newsreader or are there others that are
better.

You're not using Outlook Exploit. You're better than 90% of the people out
there!

I personally don't like X-News. I use Gravity instead. It's free, and pretty
good. The news reader that's part of Thunderbird is actually very good too.

HTH

Pete.

--
NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you
Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail
Old February 8th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
8_bit

Harvey Van Sickle shocked all on uk.telecom.broadband at Sat, 07 Feb 2004
20:12:45 GMT by suggesting:

On 07 Feb 2004, diesel wrote

XNews isn't everyone's cup of tea -- some people find the configuration
a bit fiddly -- but apart from a few very strange people, nobody will
question your choice of choosing to use it. It's a solid piece of kit.

Seconded, Xnews is a great little newsreader, I love it

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Paul (yes, another)
Thetford Forest Archaeology
URL:http://www.aoqv41.dsl.pipex.com/
Old February 8th 04, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 11:42:33 UTC, Pete Smith
wrote:

I personally don't like X-News. I use Gravity instead. It's free, and pretty
good. The news reader that's part of Thunderbird is actually very good too.

Very happy with my newsreader, but it's not for the masses!

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Old February 8th 04, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jock

On 07 Feb 2004 18:32:11 GMT, diesel noemail wrote:

Greetings

I'm fairly new to newsgroups and am currently using X-News as my news
client.

Is X-News considered to be a decent newsreader or are there others that are
better.

I use Free Agent.

--
Jock.
Old February 11th 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:
Tin, the one true newsreader.

http://www.tin.org/

My personal favourite (check my headers) is trn. I never really liked the
tin interface, whereas trn can be used with just one key (space). I
particularly like the fact that I can use it without touching the mouse
(no mouse support at all).

Are there any non-Unix-based newsreaders that don't require a mouse to use
effectively?

Zane.
Old February 12th 04, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article , noemail
(diesel) wrote:

Greetings

I'm fairly new to newsgroups and am currently using X-News as my news
client.

Is X-News considered to be a decent newsreader or are there others that
are better.

Thanks for your help.

Ameol, does news and mail.

Pro's: does multi news servers, good threading/filtering., stable & Mature
Con's: only does one email server. Because of its abilities - not too easy
to learn how to use. No longer in development.

I've been using it for years, and wouldn't change now.

Steve