AOL - what router are you using?

Old February 7th 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Huck Portobello

Default AOL - what router are you using?

I have seen AOL's Broadband and ICS pages - they specify Thomson routers. If I
wanted to use anything else - I wondered if anyone had any experience of ICS,
but not using Thomson eqpt? I rather fancy the Buffalo 802.11g routers, or the
US Robotics "faster than 802.11g" routers - but would not want to buy them
until I was assured they would work on an AOL connection? All AOL's endorsed
equipment is at www.dslsupport.co.uk, but is all 802.11b. I believe that in
using a proxy server (see www.adslguide.org.uk) u may use any equipment u like
- save the ADSL modem itself - which in my case wd be the Globespan Voyager
USB. But this method means that the computer attached to the ADSL modem wd
always have to be on, which is a bit of a bind!
Old February 8th 04, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
londoncpl

try this link it might help
http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...plus~mode=flat
Old February 8th 04, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Reid

In message , Huck
Portobello writes
I have seen AOL's Broadband and ICS pages - they specify Thomson routers. If I
wanted to use anything else - I wondered if anyone had any experience of ICS,
but not using Thomson eqpt? I rather fancy the Buffalo 802.11g routers, or the
US Robotics "faster than 802.11g" routers - but would not want to buy them
until I was assured they would work on an AOL connection? All AOL's endorsed
equipment is at www.dslsupport.co.uk, but is all 802.11b. I believe that in
using a proxy server (see www.adslguide.org.uk) u may use any equipment u like
- save the ADSL modem itself - which in my case wd be the Globespan Voyager
USB. But this method means that the computer attached to the ADSL modem wd
always have to be on, which is a bit of a bind!

My experience is you can use any modem/router you like with AOL as long
as you can set the MTU to 1400 or less, either in the router or at the
equipment connecting to it. Doing this AOL has worked properly for me,
so long as you follow the advice about the login names.

I have used several unbranded one port routers from a local supplier
here in Glasgow without problems, and also my own ZyXel 650. I have not
used an integrated wireless router but my Belkin 54g WAP works fine with
AOL behind whichever of the routers I have used. However a couple of
routers I tried did fail because I could not get the MTU to set to an
appropriate value. Careful equipment trial is recommended!

--
John
Mail sent to the reply address will be binned automatically.
Old February 8th 04, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BRG

ospam (londoncpl) wrote in
:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...5~root=aolplus
~mode=flat

Beware, that site refers to AOL broadband in the USA, which is
different from that in the UK.

--
BRG
===
Old February 12th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Just set up a Netgear DG-814, works a treat.

Old February 18th 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
InfoSeeker

Did the service work before you installed the router?
Only when the router is in used. I guess this SpeedTouch Router must
have turned off certain port by default.