ADSL Modem upgrade question

Old February 8th 04, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John F Kappler

Default ADSL Modem upgrade question

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm trying to ensure I've got
all my ducks in a line.........

I'm planning a migration from a 500 to a 1000 (or even a 2000)
service.

Will the modem need to be chaned? (Its an Intel Anypoint USB)

TIA,

JohnK
Old February 8th 04, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"John F Kappler" wrote in message
This may seem like a silly question, but I'm trying to ensure I've got
all my ducks in a line.........

I'm planning a migration from a 500 to a 1000 (or even a 2000)
service.

Will the modem need to be chaned? (Its an Intel Anypoint USB)

Well, putting "intel anypoint" into google provides lots of hits. I suggest
you start there. However, be aware that Intel no longer support this
product.

HTH

---

Old February 8th 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John F Kappler

Sorry, perhaps I should re-phrase the question....

If I have a DSL modem that works on a 500 service, do I need to change
it if I migrate to a 1000 or 2000 service?

I've looked on adslguide.org.uk and haven't found a definitive answer,
but I'm not sure if thats cos the answer is obviously No, or because I
haven't found any answer.....

Ancillary question: If I dont NEED to change is, should I consider
changing it cos some modems are better performers than others?

TIA

JohnK
Old February 8th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

most ADSL modems are designed to cope with speeds up 8MB/s, so in theory are
more than capable of handling the fastest services available in the UK.

Old February 8th 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

John F Kappler wrote:
Sorry, perhaps I should re-phrase the question....

If I have a DSL modem that works on a 500 service, do I need to
change it if I migrate to a 1000 or 2000 service?

I've looked on adslguide.org.uk and haven't found a definitive
answer, but I'm not sure if thats cos the answer is obviously No,
or because I haven't found any answer.....

Ancillary question: If I dont NEED to change is, should I consider
changing it cos some modems are better performers than others?

Answer to that is that many people who have switched from using USB to an
ethernet solution have reported higher thru put & a more stable
connection....

Old February 9th 04, 07:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John F Kappler

Thanks all - My knowledge has been increased and I'm sitting more
comfortably now!

JohnK