FM quality domestic "broadband"?

Old February 8th 04, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Huck Portobello

Default FM quality domestic "broadband"?

I remember when I was a lad ... that an electronics magazine had a circuit - to
make an adapter that plugged into the mains 240V AC socket - and as long as u
had one adapter per sockt - u cd transmit data all around the house. Now - if
someone cd come up with a viable alternative to wi-fi - we wouldn't need all
this WEP encryption taking up so much overhead, and obviating setup problems
too! Any entrepreneurial types reading this out there .......... ?
Old February 8th 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HamMan

"Huck Portobello" wrote in message
I remember when I was a lad ... that an electronics magazine had a

circuit - to
make an adapter that plugged into the mains 240V AC socket - and as long

as u
had one adapter per sockt - u cd transmit data all around the house.

Now - if
someone cd come up with a viable alternative to wi-fi - we wouldn't need

all
this WEP encryption taking up so much overhead, and obviating setup

problems
too! Any entrepreneurial types reading this out there .......... ?

They still make them, you can get RJ45 bridges which run through the mains
circuitry of the house. T'was in PCAdvisor a couple of months back.

hamman

Old February 8th 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Huck Portobello wrote:

I remember when I was a lad ... that an electronics magazine had a
circuit - to make an adapter that plugged into the mains 240V AC
socket - and as long as u had one adapter per sockt - u cd transmit
data all around the house. Now - if someone cd come up with a viable
alternative to wi-fi - we wouldn't need all this WEP encryption
taking up so much overhead, and obviating setup problems too! Any
entrepreneurial types reading this out there .......... ?

Please post in English, *not* in SMS jibberish!

Since the mains is also connected to other houses in your street, what's to
stop your neighbours from hacking into such a network? Surely you'd still
need security measures similar to those for wi-fi.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 8th 04, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rusty

Tiscali Tim wrote:

Please post in English, *not* in SMS jibberish!

Since the mains is also connected to other houses in your street, what's to
stop your neighbours from hacking into such a network? Surely you'd still
need security measures similar to those for wi-fi.

The mains is connected to all the houses in the country courtesy of the
national grid.
Old February 8th 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 11:29:35 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

Please post in English, *not* in SMS jibberish!

Since the mains is also connected to other houses in your street, what's to
stop your neighbours from hacking into such a network? Surely you'd still
need security measures similar to those for wi-fi.

If it is anything like the baby alarms that use the electric sockets,
such things only work on the same ring main. So if you have a
different ring main upstairs from downstairs, you can't communicate
between floors.

In which case there shouldn't be any leakage into neighbouring houses.

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket" George Orwell
Old February 8th 04, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Huck Portobello" wrote in message
I remember when I was a lad ... that an electronics magazine had a

circuit - to
make an adapter that plugged into the mains 240V AC socket - and as long

as u
had one adapter per sockt - u cd transmit data all around the house.

Do you mean Home Phone Networking ?

If so, there are some products out there which support it.. the BT Home
Network 1200 for instance.

You can read a review at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...q2/bt-1200.asp

Regards
Sunil

Old February 8th 04, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Huck Portobello" wrote in
message
I remember when I was a lad ... that an electronics
magazine had a circuit - to make an adapter that plugged
into the mains 240V AC socket - and as long as u had one
adapter per sockt - u cd transmit data all around the
house.

Do you mean Home Phone Networking ?

If so, there are some products out there which support
it.. the BT Home Network 1200 for instance.

You can read a review at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...q2/bt-1200.asp

Regards
Sunil

Or what about this

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...everwire14.asp
( http://tinyurl.com/i9fi )

Old February 8th 04, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Cain

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Huck Portobello wrote:

I remember when I was a lad ... that an electronics magazine had a
circuit - to make an adapter that plugged into the mains 240V AC
socket - and as long as u had one adapter per sockt - u cd transmit
data all around the house. Now - if someone cd come up with a viable
alternative to wi-fi - we wouldn't need all this WEP encryption
taking up so much overhead, and obviating setup problems too! Any
entrepreneurial types reading this out there .......... ?

Please post in English, *not* in SMS jibberish!

Steady there, Colonel! If he'd really been trying you'd
have seen something like:

"I rmbr wen I wz a ld ... dat an electronics mag had
a cirKit - 2 mak an [email protected] dat plugged N2 D mains
240V AC socket - n as lng as u hd 1 adapter / sockt
- u cd tx data ll arnd D hous. nw - f sum1 cd
cum ^ W a viable altrntve 2 wi-fi - we wudnt nd ll
dis WEP encryption takN ^ so mch ovRhead, n obviating
set^ woes 2! NE Ntrepreneurial typz readN dis ot der?"

....in which case the bounder would be most deserving
of a sound thrashing. Possibly even being voted out
of the Retired Officers' Club!

Cheers,

Tim.

---

Old February 8th 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

King Queen wrote:

If it is anything like the baby alarms that use the electric sockets,
such things only work on the same ring main. So if you have a
different ring main upstairs from downstairs, you can't communicate
between floors.

In which case there shouldn't be any leakage into neighbouring houses.

I'm not quite sure how they know which ring main they're on - since they're
all connected together in the CU!

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 8th 04, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Huck Portobello

Thanks for the great replies - I might give this a go, as I am not sure I want
all the WEP difficulties, and am sure that my ring-main is not accessible by
the neighbours - who are not very computer-savvie to begin with, so shd be OK.

Srry 2 hav caught the attention of the flmrs 4 using abbvtd txt, but if u wanna
flm, thn u hrdly nd 2 wt 4 sm1 lk me!!! LOL