Third hand help with Blueyonder router / WAP

Old February 8th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ferger

Default Third hand help with Blueyonder router / WAP

Really hoping someone in here can help me with this - my brother in law
asked me to help (family IT guru) and I'm stuck. Networky stuff is really
not my thing (software is)....but it's absolutely, definitely not his.

I know roughly what should be going on, but I have a DSL Router with a WAP
hanging off it, and I'm out of my comfort zone with Blueyonder, PPPoE et
al.

He has a working Blueyonder connection and has picked up a no brand
wireless capable broadband router from Ebay. It has four lan ports and a
wan port, which I assume is where the network cable from his cable modem
should be connected. His desktop machine has two network cards in it, and I
have tried pretty much everything with one or the other connected into a
lan port on the router.

The router has a web interface, and I can access this OK on it's default
address of 192.168.1.254. I can ping the router from the desktop machine.
I have entered his username and pass in the PPPoE WAN setup page in this
interface. The router is set to pick up DNS from Blueyonder. The desktop
machine appears to be getting allocated an IP by the router, since it's the
first in the range defined in the interface. But I can't get the desktop
machine to use the net connection for love nor money, after piddling
around for an hour or so and trying various XP wizards that might have
helped.

I'm confident I can get the wireless aspects working with his laptop (since
that's a relative doddle IME), but I am stuck on first base at the moment.
Can anyone offer some simple pointers as to where I should be looking? Or
an idiots guide to setting up Blueyonder with a no brand router? :-)

Really, really grateful for any help anyone can offer....I've been here
before over the years, and I am sure that I'm missing something really
stupid....

TIA

Old February 8th 04, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
African Bios

Ferger wrote in
:

[...]

Are you able to set the router to clone the MAC address of the cable
modem? I understand that NTL and telewest only allow certain registered
MAC addresses to access thier network.

--
Remove nyet / block or change dot to .
to reply Thank you
Old February 8th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ferger

African Bios secured a place in history by writing:

Are you able to set the router to clone the MAC address of the cable
modem? I understand that NTL and telewest only allow certain registered
MAC addresses to access thier network.

Well,thats an interesting and possibly conclusive comment.....the facility
was certainly there in the interface, and I wondered why.....thanks, gives
me something to try :-)

Old February 9th 04, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On 08 Feb 2004 12:33:28 GMT, Ferger wrote:

I'm confident I can get the wireless aspects working with his laptop (since
that's a relative doddle IME), but I am stuck on first base at the moment.
Can anyone offer some simple pointers as to where I should be looking? Or
an idiots guide to setting up Blueyonder with a no brand router? :-)

Register the wan mac address of the router with blueyonder - it then should all
fall into place :-)
http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyond...h_services_mac
Geo