A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Broadband availability?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 8th 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 75
Default Broadband availability?

I'm soon having to move home and, sad to say, broadband availability is a
big issue when looking for a new home.

I've used Infobel to check broadband availability in specific areas but I'm
a bit confused: neighbouring houses seem to return different results on BT's
ADSL checker. Some "may" be able to receive broadband, others "may" but only
512K and other neighbouring houses "should" be able to receive 2MB. Why
would this be?

I know that ADSL availability is connected with line quality and not simply
distance from the exchange. Is it safe to assume that any home within, say,
4 Km of the exchange should have a fighting chance of ADSL? What is the
safest rough guide to measuring line distance - obviously not as the crow
flies but is road distance a more reliable guide?

Gareth.


  #2  
Old February 8th 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 162
Default Broadband availability?



Gareth wrote:
I'm soon having to move home and, sad to say, broadband availability
is a big issue when looking for a new home.

I've used Infobel to check broadband availability in specific areas
but I'm a bit confused: neighbouring houses seem to return different
results on BT's ADSL checker. Some "may" be able to receive
broadband, others "may" but only 512K and other neighbouring houses
"should" be able to receive 2MB. Why would this be?

I know that ADSL availability is connected with line quality and not
simply distance from the exchange. Is it safe to assume that any home
within, say, 4 Km of the exchange should have a fighting chance of
ADSL? What is the safest rough guide to measuring line distance -
obviously not as the crow flies but is road distance a more reliable
guide?


As the crow flies, I am 2km from the exchange. Road distance is around 4km.
My line though is more than 6km so I cannot get broadband. You cannot
assume that any house within 4km is going to be able to get broadband. In
fact there have been cases when a person lives within 100yards of the
exchange and is too far. You have to take each house on its own merits and
get a line test done. Obviously if you are moving house its difficult to
know whether that house once you get there will be able to get broadband.


  #3  
Old February 8th 04, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Broadband availability?

"Beck" wrote in message
...

As the crow flies, I am 2km from the exchange. Road distance is around

4km.
My line though is more than 6km so I cannot get broadband. You cannot
assume that any house within 4km is going to be able to get broadband. In
fact there have been cases when a person lives within 100yards of the
exchange and is too far. You have to take each house on its own merits

and
get a line test done. Obviously if you are moving house its difficult to
know whether that house once you get there will be able to get broadband.


Didn't there used to be a way of testing line length with BT's test system
on 17070?


  #4  
Old February 8th 04, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 75
Default Broadband availability?


"Beck" wrote in message
...


Gareth wrote:
I'm soon having to move home and, sad to say, broadband availability
is a big issue when looking for a new home.

I've used Infobel to check broadband availability in specific areas
but I'm a bit confused: neighbouring houses seem to return different
results on BT's ADSL checker. Some "may" be able to receive
broadband, others "may" but only 512K and other neighbouring houses
"should" be able to receive 2MB. Why would this be?

I know that ADSL availability is connected with line quality and not
simply distance from the exchange. Is it safe to assume that any home
within, say, 4 Km of the exchange should have a fighting chance of
ADSL? What is the safest rough guide to measuring line distance -
obviously not as the crow flies but is road distance a more reliable
guide?


As the crow flies, I am 2km from the exchange. Road distance is around

4km.
My line though is more than 6km so I cannot get broadband. You cannot
assume that any house within 4km is going to be able to get broadband. In
fact there have been cases when a person lives within 100yards of the
exchange and is too far. You have to take each house on its own merits

and
get a line test done. Obviously if you are moving house its difficult to
know whether that house once you get there will be able to get broadband.


Hmm, if only BT had implemented DSL as it was meant to be - via street
cabinets. This is, I understand, the eventual aim although no date has yet
been set.

It seems absolute nuts that distance from the exchange should be a main
determining factor for ADSL. HHighway doesn't cut the mustard anymore and
businesses that require always on fast access or/and SMTP mail are
effectively screwed.

As for ISDN over ADSL - well, it is only the 21st century I suppose.

Gareth.


  #5  
Old February 8th 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 162
Default Broadband availability?



Rupert wrote:
"Beck" wrote in message
...

As the crow flies, I am 2km from the exchange. Road distance is
around 4km. My line though is more than 6km so I cannot get
broadband. You cannot assume that any house within 4km is going to
be able to get broadband. In fact there have been cases when a
person lives within 100yards of the exchange and is too far. You
have to take each house on its own merits and get a line test done.
Obviously if you are moving house its difficult to know whether that
house once you get there will be able to get broadband.


Didn't there used to be a way of testing line length with BT's test
system on 17070?


Yes but it is not conclusive. I used that test and was told 1.7km from the
exchange.


  #6  
Old February 8th 04, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 162
Default Broadband availability?



Gareth wrote:
"Beck" wrote in message
...


Gareth wrote:
I'm soon having to move home and, sad to say, broadband availability
is a big issue when looking for a new home.

I've used Infobel to check broadband availability in specific areas
but I'm a bit confused: neighbouring houses seem to return different
results on BT's ADSL checker. Some "may" be able to receive
broadband, others "may" but only 512K and other neighbouring houses
"should" be able to receive 2MB. Why would this be?

I know that ADSL availability is connected with line quality and not
simply distance from the exchange. Is it safe to assume that any
home within, say, 4 Km of the exchange should have a fighting
chance of ADSL? What is the safest rough guide to measuring line
distance - obviously not as the crow flies but is road distance a
more reliable guide?


As the crow flies, I am 2km from the exchange. Road distance is
around 4km. My line though is more than 6km so I cannot get
broadband. You cannot assume that any house within 4km is going to
be able to get broadband. In fact there have been cases when a
person lives within 100yards of the exchange and is too far. You
have to take each house on its own merits and get a line test done.
Obviously if you are moving house its difficult to know whether that
house once you get there will be able to get broadband.


Hmm, if only BT had implemented DSL as it was meant to be - via street
cabinets. This is, I understand, the eventual aim although no date
has yet been set.

It seems absolute nuts that distance from the exchange should be a
main determining factor for ADSL. HHighway doesn't cut the mustard
anymore and businesses that require always on fast access or/and SMTP
mail are effectively screwed.

As for ISDN over ADSL - well, it is only the 21st century I suppose.


Home highway would be okay if it was faster. I could here use 128k isdn,
but its more expensive. I want a 128k unmetered for 24/7, not just a set
amount of hours.


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Availability question Newbie Scott uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 January 13th 04 05:43 PM
Availability checker Drew Kyle uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 September 16th 03 08:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.