Even more Netgear DG834G woes?

Old February 8th 04, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Even more Netgear DG834G woes?

Having had no success at all in getting it to work I decided to uninstall it
and start from scratch. As far as I can see the means of doing a hard reset
it to poke a fine pointed object into the unmarked hole between the phone
jack and the bank of four network connectors. Having done this I assumed
that all the settings would be set to the default as the manual says.
However my settings still seemed to be there. Having fiddled a little more
and of course made it worse I can't access the router at all because IE6
simply replies that the network location is not found. Having proved myself
to be a complete idiot can someone please help me to install it again? TIA

Old February 9th 04, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Peter Crosland wrote:
Having had no success at all in getting it to work I decided to
uninstall it and start from scratch. As far as I can see the means of
doing a hard reset it to poke a fine pointed object into the unmarked
hole between the phone jack and the bank of four network connectors.
Having done this I assumed that all the settings would be set to the
default as the manual says. However my settings still seemed to be
there. Having fiddled a little more and of course made it worse I
can't access the router at all because IE6 simply replies that the
network location is not found. Having proved myself to be a complete
idiot can someone please help me to install it again? TIA

Peter, did you follow the instructions on how to reset or did you just
assume what you needed to do, as the correct method is not quite as simple
as just pressing the button for a brief moment. Instructions here -

"To restore the factory default configuration settings without knowing the
administration password or IP address, you must use the Default Reset button
on the rear panel of the router.

1. Press and hold the Default Reset button until the Test LED turns on
(about 10 seconds).

2. Release the Default Reset button and wait for the router to reboot."

I can't remember if it was you that was using the router without an ADSL
connection, at the moment, and just trying to get the LAN side working but I
know my network went tits up when I tried to use the router as my internet
gateway AND tried to implement ICS on my laptop to create network access for
my bluetooth PDA via the laptop. Needless to say things all got a bit messy
with too many 168.192.0.1 devices on the network.

I'm only a home user and not a network techy so I'm not sure what needs
doing. In my case I just abandoned the idea for the time being. In your case
the whole config issue may need a bit more thought if you are using ICS.
Hopefully someone with a bit more networking skill can tell you what you
need to do.

--
Email address is munged. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old February 9th 04, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Thanks Tim. It worked.

Old February 26th 04, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

I've just had problems with my DG834G, which has otherwise been working
perfectly since I bought it, over a month ago.

I saw advice that it increases security to disable broadcast of SSID, so
I logged in to the router and disabled it. I then found my laptop would
not work with the wireless connection (works ok if I plug it in).

I re-enabled SSID broadcast - still could not get wireless signal.
I have now:
- power cycled the router
- rebooted it
- reloaded the saved configuration file
- I changed the SSID name, and then changed it back again
- tried toggling various other settings - these seem to be working as
when I disable wireless activity the LED on the front goes out, and on
again when I re-enable it.
The "statistics" page is showing a small number of wireless packets
being transmitted, maybe 100/minute, but none received.
I have tried setting just 802.11b and both b and g. All to no avail.

I have rebooted my laptop, and it is within 2 feet of the router, but no
signal at all received. I have searched the Netgear site for clues, but
none so far.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this - I've run out of ideas.

--
Clive Page
Old February 26th 04, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Clive Page wrote:
[...]

I can't help, except to say that I got my DG834G at the end of December. I
flashed the firmware to 1.03.00 the day I got it and have been running just
fine ever since with broadcast SSID disabled. Since then I've connected my
two Dell laptops, with 3Com cards and a friend's Dell laptop with built-in
Truemobile wireless G without problems.

I agree that when first setting up the connection (I have WEP and MAC
authorisation required) it does help to enable SSID broadcast so I've
toggled mine on and off a few times. Nowadays it is off permanently and my
laptops have no problem connecting instantly at avery boot or resume from
standby.

Are you running the latest router firmware - 1.03.00? Do you know the router
is at fault of could it be something to do with the connection configuration
on your client machine? Try disabling WEP and MAC authorisation and enable
SSID and then rebuild your connection settings gradually by adding each
component one at a time and making sure you can still connect.

I've got no expertise in this area, other than 6 weeks experience as an end
user, so I could be talking b######s but I don't see why the router should
suddenly be trashed by such a simple config change. My guess would be the
laptop has somehow forgotten the network name so try defining a new
connection profile.

--
Email address is munged. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old February 26th 04, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

In message , Tiny Tim
writes
I can't help, except to say that I got my DG834G at the end of December. I
I agree that when first setting up the connection (I have WEP and MAC
authorisation required) it does help to enable SSID broadcast so I've
toggled mine on and off a few times. Nowadays it is off permanently and my
laptops have no problem connecting instantly at avery boot or resume from
standby.

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm pleased to say that this morning,
just before going off to work, I decided to power up again: and, to my
amazement, with absolutely nothing changed since I shut down last night,
everything works. The only visible difference is that the "wifi" LED on
the front of the router which was on steadily last night, is not
flashing off intermittently, presumably to show that packets are flowing
in/out. I have no idea what is wrong, but I'll be reluctant to change
anything again.

--
Clive Page