A Dillema of sorts.. Should I or shouldn't I?

Old February 9th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Warby

Default A Dillema of sorts.. Should I or shouldn't I?

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:30:42 +0000, Lurker wrote:

I'm currently using Freeserves' 512mbps service but would like to upgrade
to a 2mbps sevice with another ISP. Now, I've checked my line at the Bt
wholesale site and my results were as follows:-

"Your exchange has ADSL broadband. Although the length of the telephone
line between you and the exchange is quite long, you may be able to
receive ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line suggests that you may be able to have an
ADSL broadband service that provides up to 2Mbps download speed.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to
confirm if your line is suitable, and if so for what speed of service."

Should I risk it and hope that a 2mbps service will work? I mean, if it
all goes tits up and I've cancelled with Freeserve then I'd prolly have to
pay again for a reconnection with freeserve. Not to mention the probable 2
weeks down time that I'd incur.

As an aside; does anybody know if Freeserve plan to include a 1mbps
broadband service to their Network?

Cheers.

if your modem tells you what the line attenaution is then you can get a
good estimate as to wether you can get a 1/2MB adsl connection.I seem to
remember that attenuation had to be less than 45dB(I'm sure someone else
will correct me)

Martin