Single/Multi User Broadband?

Old February 9th 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry Higginbottom

Default Single/Multi User Broadband?

Hi

Now we have a service date from BT I'm looking into broadband for my home.

Can someone explain to me the difference between single and multi user
packages, apart from the cost!

I had assumed that once a broadband connection was established I could
toddle off and buy a broadband router and set up my own little network
without involving my ISP or BT.

It seems to me that the higher cost for these so-called multi user packages
are just for a better contention ratio (20:1)?

But if all I want is multi user email and *occasional* browsing then a 512k
50:1 contention ratio package would probably be quite adequate?

Or am I completely missing something?

--
Regards
Barry
Old February 9th 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:53:42 +0000, Barry Higginbottom
wrote:

Hi

Now we have a service date from BT I'm looking into broadband for my home.

Can someone explain to me the difference between single and multi user
packages, apart from the cost!

I had assumed that once a broadband connection was established I could
toddle off and buy a broadband router and set up my own little network
without involving my ISP or BT.

It seems to me that the higher cost for these so-called multi user packages
are just for a better contention ratio (20:1)?

But if all I want is multi user email and *occasional* browsing then a 512k
50:1 contention ratio package would probably be quite adequate?

Or am I completely missing something?

Barry,

_Any_ of the ADSL packages you see on offer from ISPs will cater
exactly for what you want.

Typically, where you see terms like "multi-user", these are aimed
towards the business EU, hell bent on reducing their connectivity
costs and looking towards ADSL as solution. Occasionally, some of
these multi user packages will come with a router as well mind. plus
as you say, sometimes a lower contention ratio. Oh - and some ISPs
will give you a batch of IP addresses as well (although 90% of any ISP
will give you IPs if you ask / pay for them)

In reality, for what you want, *any* of the packages will do you fine.

HTH
--
Andy Jenkins
http://www.uk-bug.net : The UK Broadband Usergroup.
Old February 9th 04, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
F F Skitty

"Barry Higginbottom" wrote in message
I had assumed that once a broadband connection was established I could
toddle off and buy a broadband router and set up my own little network
without involving my ISP or BT.

That's exactly what you do.

Things will obviously slow down if two or more computers are downloading
large files or getting broadband video feeds or some such through the one
connection at the same time, but otherwise everyone will be surfing etc at
the same time perfectly happily without any noticeable effect on each other.
The speed from one will seem just as good as if it was connected on its own,
most of the time. (If my experience at home is anything to go by.)

Old February 9th 04, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry Higginbottom

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:18:41 -0000, F F Skitty wrote:

That's exactly what you do.

So for a network of 3 machines primarily for collecting and sending email
it's ideal and a lot cheaper than 3 separate dialups!

Thanks

--
Best regards
Barry
Old February 9th 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
F F Skitty

"Barry Higginbottom" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:18:41 -0000, F F Skitty wrote:

That's exactly what you do.

So for a network of 3 machines primarily for collecting and sending email
it's ideal and a lot cheaper than 3 separate dialups!

Yes indeed.

If two were uploading or downloading large attachments at the same time, it
would be at half your "headline" connection speed for each, obviously, but
is that potential occasional slowdown a big issue - would it even be
noticed? Perhaps if you're a digital video company... but in that case you
should be looking at a different type of connection anyway. If we're simply
talking text emails with attached documents, perhaps, then shared ADSL will
be great.
e.g. even with two of you downloading a few hundred kilobytes each at
*exactly* the same moment (!) - therefore at "only" 256Kbps apiece instead
of the full 512Kbps - it will still all be over by the time you take a sip
of coffee. (Just to keep things in perspective!)

Old February 9th 04, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Barry Higginbottom wrote:
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:18:41 -0000, F F Skitty wrote:

That's exactly what you do.

So for a network of 3 machines primarily for collecting and sending
email it's ideal and a lot cheaper than 3 separate dialups!

2 years ago I had BT adsl, I had 3 machines connected at once and there was
no slowdown when everyone was browsing. Of course if they are all
downloading at once then that speed is going to be reduced quite
dramatically. For what you want, then a normal adsl package will be fine.

Old February 10th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mr goat

Andy Jenkins wrote in message . ..

Hi

Now we have a service date from BT I'm looking into broadband for my home.

Can someone explain to me the difference between single and multi user
packages, apart from the cost!

In reality, for what you want, *any* of the packages will do you fine.

No. It is against BT's Ts&Cs to run a network. You will be breaking
the agreement. Not sure about other ISPs.

However, there is no way they can find out unless you tell them.
Old February 10th 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

mr goat wrote:
Andy Jenkins wrote in message
. ..

Hi

Now we have a service date from BT I'm looking into broadband for
my home.

Can someone explain to me the difference between single and multi
user packages, apart from the cost!

In reality, for what you want, *any* of the packages will do you
fine.

No. It is against BT's Ts&Cs to run a network. You will be breaking
the agreement. Not sure about other ISPs.

However, there is no way they can find out unless you tell them.

No its not Mr Goat. They allow sharing, but they do not support it if you
have a problem. They even promote it now with game consoles.

Old February 10th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Houston

"Beck" wrote in message

No. It is against BT's Ts&Cs to run a network. You will be breaking
the agreement. Not sure about other ISPs.

However, there is no way they can find out unless you tell them.

No its not Mr Goat. They allow sharing, but they do not support it if you
have a problem. They even promote it now with game consoles.

If you have a router, such as a Draytek Vigor 2600, then it's unlikely
that they could tell that you have more than one PC using the connection
unless all the PC's are downloading movies and mp3's at the same time.

As for their "support" - been there. It's a joke. Their ****ty reputation
is well earned and well deserved.

James H