A few Questions from a ADSL Newbie re Pipex

Old February 9th 04, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default A few Questions from a ADSL Newbie re Pipex

Hi

Our Exchange (West Ayton) ADSL "Live Date" is drawing close - 11.02.2004.

I have placed an advanced order through Pipex (1mb Extreme) and everything
is in place including my NetGear DG834G Router which is performing
excellently at the mo with my Network at home.

However as I've begun to realise, Pipex's Support is c**p - I wrote to them
on 29th Jan asking when I might be able to choose my email addresses and am
still waiting and every time I ring up I get the usual " due to the large
demand/shortage of advisers/bad weather etc etc, I have to hang on for at
least 15 mins - I put the phone down obviously! I want to advertise my new
email addy's asap - could someone please explain the process please and the
following: -

1. When and how do I choose my email addy's? - I am aware you get 12
mailboxes which you can alias
2. When will I receive the equipment I paid for in December - the
micro-switches etc?
3. Assuming no delays or problems with the exchange and/or the line
connection, how soon do Pipex get you "active"
4. My router's firmware is "1.02.00" - ADSL firmware 1.00.09.00. Reading
up about this router have all the problems been sorted yet and is a newer
firmware recommended now? - If so to which one? and where can I find the
correct procedure for updating?
5. When should I cancel my 2 Freeserve Anytime dial-ups and 1 x BT
telephone line? (asked for "tounge in cheek lol!)

TIA

Paul

Old February 9th 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:06:08 -0000, "Paul"
wrote:

Hi

Our Exchange (West Ayton) ADSL "Live Date" is drawing close - 11.02.2004.

Congrats ..

5. When should I cancel my 2 Freeserve Anytime dial-ups and 1 x BT
telephone line? (asked for "tounge in cheek lol!)

Tongue in cheek maybe, and humour doesnt occasionally bode well on
usenet, but dont cancel that BT line, if you are thinking your going
to get ADSL on it. ADSL *requires* a BT line for it to work !

--
Andy Jenkins
http://www.uk-bug.net : The UK Broadband Usergroup.
Old February 9th 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Should have said Andy that I have 2 BT Lines - only going to cancel one
obviously!

But what about Questions 1-4?

TAIA

Paul

This footnote confirms that this email message
has been swept by Norton AntiVirus for the
presence of computer viruses.

This computer is protected
by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

news

Old February 9th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

[...]

A few days before you go live, they will send an email message and a
paper delivery (letter) with the passwords and stuff you need to get
into the system to set your addresses.

I went through the same rigmarole when they set up my account. I
suggested at the time that they should improve the information they
put in their communications so that new customers aren't left
wondering what will happen. Sounds like they took not much notice.

In the event, everything went very smoothly. My DG834 connected as
soon as the thing went live, without any help on my part. and it was a
day earlier than BT promised.

The only interruptions since then, about a month ago, were when the
local electricity went phut.

As I had been in touch with Pipex, asking much the same questions as
you, I got a phone call to check that all had gone well.

The messages seem to be that Pipex offers poor advance information,
its support is not as bad as some people maintain, and the Netgear
routers are also better than the whiners suggest.

Check the Netgear web site for newer flashes. It is painless process.

MK

PS What's an addy?
Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old February 10th 04, 08:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Thanks Michael, very helpful. (Addy=Address)

When can I expect to receive the Micro-Switches ordered and paid for last
year?

Uploaded the latest firmware 1.03.01 last night, so far so good!

Seriously, though, I hope I've not made a mistake with Pipex

Old February 10th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:10:45 -0000, "Paul"
wrote:

Thanks Michael, very helpful. (Addy=Address)

When can I expect to receive the Micro-Switches ordered and paid for last
year?

Uploaded the latest firmware 1.03.01 last night, so far so good!

Seriously, though, I hope I've not made a mistake with Pipex

Paul

I also went on to Pipex xtreme 1Mb with the Netgear DG834G last
November and have had no problems (bought my own filters) so have
never needed to use Pipex support.

I did use Netgear support to check that firmware 1.03 would indeed
mean the access schedules I set up would stop working as stated on
their upgrade web page. Got straight through (India I believe) and
they gave confirmation so I have stayed on 1.02 for the time being.

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old February 10th 04, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I wouldn't know about hardware. My Netgear router came with its own
filter.

They say that they will turn up just before you go live.

My experience with Pipex, going back nearly a decade, has been mostly
positive. AFDSL has so far proved fine.

Pipex aren't the cheapest around, which is fine by me. I'd rather not
be on a system clogged up with 5 a month merchants.

MK

wrote:

Thanks Michael, very helpful. (Addy=Address)

When can I expect to receive the Micro-Switches ordered and paid for last
year?

Uploaded the latest firmware 1.03.01 last night, so far so good!

Seriously, though, I hope I've not made a mistake with Pipex

Paul

This footnote confirms that this email message
has been swept by Norton AntiVirus for the
presence of computer viruses.

This computer is protected
by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

.. .