Virgin ADSL, with alcatel Home modem...

Old February 9th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Virgin ADSL, with alcatel Home modem...

Hi,
im having a tough time here, and my hair is turning grey pretty fast
now :-/
i have an alcatel speedtouch home modem, which im trying to get to
work with Virgin Broadband here in the UK. the line is active since i
have line sync, but i cant get anything else. Tech support is
hopeless, and seem to be unsure of whether its a PPPoE or PPPoA
connection.

Their support is only geared towards using their own USB supplied
modems.

However i did get this impressive list of settings to use, but with no
explanations on how to set them;

Virgin.net ADSL modem settings are as follows -

VPI = 0
VCI = 38
ADSL Modulation Auto, then try G.DMT, then try ANSI T1.413
Encapsulation Mode PPP over ATM (PPPoA - RFC2364) VC-MUX
Service name Home 500
Authentication CHAP
MTU = 1430

I can connect to the modems config page with 10.0.0.138, and from
there on in its all japanese to me. Should they be set in the modem
config page, or from windows?

Im starting off with a basic 'create broadband connection' from
windows XP.

If anyone has any clues on this, id be very very grateful! I know
almost nothing about networking, but am pretty savvy on most other
things.

Many thanks,

John.
Old February 9th 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

I am guessing that all of these seting need to go in the modem
configuration. I use an ethernet modem through a router, so that is
different to your usb modem, however I think the modem still carries the
settings in your case.

Virgin is PPPoA. I know cos I use them too, and their support not knowing
that is quite incredulous!!!!

Other settings are what I use, so you should be OK.

om...

Old February 9th 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Thanks james,

im not using a USB modem though - that seems like the easy option.
Ive got plenty of funny options inside the modem, via the IP address
of the modem itself - but im not getting anywhere really.

i have options for PPTP, routing, bridge, DHCP and more. Are these
the important ones, as opposed to windows side options?

At the moment, i have a VPN connection to the modem via its IP, i
followed some instructions he

http://www.dougsta.net/sth/xp.htm

can you say if this is on the right tracks? (that article refers to my
modem)

thanks again,

john.

Old February 10th 04, 01:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"John" wrote in message
om...
i have an alcatel speedtouch home modem, which im trying to get to
work with Virgin Broadband here in the UK. the line is active since i
have line sync, but i cant get anything else. Tech support is
hopeless, and seem to be unsure of whether its a PPPoE or PPPoA
connection.

PPPoA...

However i did get this impressive list of settings to use, but with no
explanations on how to set them;

Virgin.net ADSL modem settings are as follows -

VPI = 0
VCI = 38
ADSL Modulation Auto, then try G.DMT, then try ANSI T1.413
Encapsulation Mode PPP over ATM (PPPoA - RFC2364) VC-MUX
Service name Home 500
Authentication CHAP
MTU = 1430

I can connect to the modems config page with 10.0.0.138, and from
there on in its all japanese to me. Should they be set in the modem
config page, or from windows?

Modem config...

Im starting off with a basic 'create broadband connection' from
windows XP.

From the 'New Connection Wizard', select 'Connect to the network at my
workplace' click next, select 'Virtual Private Network connection' (unless
you "hack" it to the Pro version (see below))

If anyone has any clues on this, id be very very grateful! I know
almost nothing about networking, but am pretty savvy on most other
things.

Start with the following:

http://www.thecaretaker.org.uk/route...el/alcatel.htm
http://www.dougsta.net/sth/
http://www.weethet.nl/english/adsl_m...lcatelhack.php
http://www.petri.co.il/upgrade_from_...ome_to_pro.htm

In particular, http://www.dougsta.net/sth/xp.htm has some XP specific stuff

Regards
Sunil

Old February 10th 04, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Hi sunil,
thanks for the links ive carried out the procedure here
http://www.dougsta.net/sth/xp.htm to the letter, but my modem setup
differes slightly.

the image on this page http://dougsta.net/sth/step4.htm under PPTP
shows 'In Use (10.0.0.1)' under state for the ignite entry.

mine will only say 'Idle'. i think i need that IP address, as thats
the IP of the ethernet card. Also, i have 6 or 7 entries in both the
phonebook and PPTP tables. is this correct? the images in the tutorial
linked here looks like theres only one entry in each table.

am i making sense??? i *think* im getting there

thanks again,
john.

Old February 11th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"John" wrote in message
m...
Hi sunil,
thanks for the links ive carried out the procedure here
http://www.dougsta.net/sth/xp.htm to the letter, but my modem setup
differes slightly.

the image on this page http://dougsta.net/sth/step4.htm under PPTP
shows 'In Use (10.0.0.1)' under state for the ignite entry.

mine will only say 'Idle'. i think i need that IP address, as thats
the IP of the ethernet card. Also, i have 6 or 7 entries in both the
phonebook and PPTP tables. is this correct? the images in the tutorial
linked here looks like theres only one entry in each table.

Try deleting all unnecessary entries

am i making sense??? i *think* im getting there

I have a Speedtouch Home but haven't actually used it for a year or so

Did you upgrade/change your firmware as instructed (and made it active?)?

I hacked mine to the pro version using the url's I gave and thats what I
would recommend you to do...

If you have no luck I will try and dig mine out..

Regards
Sunil