ICS /ZoneAlarm

Old February 10th 04, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

Default ICS /ZoneAlarm

OK so somebody very kindly bought me a new laptop. My desktop is
connected to Pipex Broadband via a USB modem, and it shares the
Internet connection with my laptop using Bluetooth (two USB dongles...
my only excuse is I'm skint.) All fine and dandy so far.

Everything works, but I can't seem to get the Internet working on the
laptop if I have ZoneAlarm running on the desktop (it's the free
version). Tried making the Bluetooth connection a trusted zone, tried
adding the virtual IP my laptop gets to the trusted zone, tried
changing various settings in Firewall Main Advanced, and had a
search round on the Net as to what to do but no joy as yet.

Does anybody know: is it possible to do Internet Connection Sharing
with the free ZoneAlarm firewall? If so, any suggestions about what I
should do to get it working?

Thanks

Doug
Old February 10th 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith William

"King Queen" wrote in message
[...]

Try Re-installing Zonealarm , theres an option to enable ICS , al least on
the full version anyway.

Old February 10th 04, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , Keith William
writes

"King Queen" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

By way of encouragement, I've had the free ZA working with ICS, don't
remember there being any particular problems with setting it up.
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old February 10th 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

bof wrote:

By way of encouragement, I've had the free ZA working with ICS, don't
remember there being any particular problems with setting it up.

I never managed to get the highest level of security working with ICS, I
had to drop it down a level on the free vesion ISTR ?

Old February 10th 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"King Queen" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...techNote_9.jsp
Hope this helps

Gareth

Old February 10th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , phoenix
writes
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:31:25 +0000, King Queen wrote:

[...]

Hi

Yes, the free version does work with ICS but.... isn't there always. :-)

You will need to do one or both of the following: first, make sure that
your LAN subnet (192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0) is added to the Trusted Zone;
if that doesn't work then reduce your Internet Zone to Medium on your ICS
host. That should solve your problems.

ZA free doesn't support running Internet Zone at High security, the Pro
version does. You get the same protection with the setting at Medium but
your ports show as closed/blocked rather than Stealth on a port scan.

Odd, I thought I had it running in stealth mode with ICS, maybe it was
possible on an older version? It was some time ago . . . either that or
my memory's going.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old February 10th 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:17:07 -0000, "Gareth not NLL or anybody else."
wrote:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...techNote_9.jsp
Hope this helps

It does indeed, thanks very much also to everybody else - Bof, Phoenix
etc.

I've been using ZoneAlarm for so many years now, it is such a good
product I don't mind giving them money - I'll buy a copy of ZoneAlarm
Pro.

Doug