Virgin Broadband - slow surfing

Old February 10th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DP

Default Virgin Broadband - slow surfing

I've just converted from Home Highway (ISDN) to Virgin Broadband, and am
very disappointed with the performance I'm getting.

Sheer download speed is excellent (eg. when downloading an update file for
my anti-virus, 500k in 10 seconds or so), but when browsing through websites
I find it slower than I had before. Lots of pages are loading with the
dreaded little red crosses where images should be. Reloading frequently
makes things worse.

A factor could be that I have also downloaded and am using Zone Alarm (basic
version) to give me the essential firewall protection. This may also be
responsible for the fact that I notice that spare memory gets used up faster
than before. OK, I have "only" 128M of RAM, but after opening a couple of
applications and closing them again, I find that there may be no memory left
free at all.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Any suggestions for changes or
improvements? I had hoped that BB would electrify my internet experience,
but it feels like I have gone backwards.

Any help gratefully received!

Dave

PS. I'm using Win98

Old February 10th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"DP" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried disabling Zone Alarm temporarily? I'm having similar issues
after installing ZA a week ago and I think the current version of ZA has
some problems.

Old February 10th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Big H

Ive been using Virgin broadband since it was available and the
performance has generally been very good. However, there has been a
marked deterioration since around last November. At best things have
been patchy since, sometimes you can find the dialup is better than
the broadband!!!!

AJ

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:22:25 -0000, "DP"
wrote:

I've just converted from Home Highway (ISDN) to Virgin Broadband, and am
very disappointed with the performance I'm getting.

snip

Old February 11th 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sgw

NDO had similar problems but happily today, their increased capacity went
live.

The point is that whilst NDO have kept their customers truthfully informed
as to what was happening on their support forum, it appears Virgin,
according to some of their clients, have been more economical with the
truth.

http://www.ndousers.com/cgi-bin/cute...=16&thread=330

It seems that the rapid interest in Broadband has caught a few ISP's on the
hop, capacity wise. According to NDO, it takes in excess of 12 weeks for BT
to install the necessary equipment to increase capacity - from when the ISP
has ordered it.

Perhaps Virgin have only recently (or even not yet) ordered their system
improvements.

Old February 14th 04, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , DP
writes
Sheer download speed is excellent (eg. when downloading an update file for
my anti-virus, 500k in 10 seconds or so), but when browsing through websites
I find it slower than I had before. Lots of pages are loading with the
dreaded little red crosses where images should be. Reloading frequently
makes things worse.

A factor could be that I have also downloaded and am using Zone Alarm (basic
version) to give me the essential firewall protection. This may also be
responsible for the fact that I notice that spare memory gets used up faster
than before. OK, I have "only" 128M of RAM, but after opening a couple of
applications and closing them again, I find that there may be no memory left
free at all.

Are you using Norton anti virus?
This would appear to be a swine for gobbling up RAM and not releasing it
back.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'