3com support PPPoA

Old February 10th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Reid

Default 3com support PPPoA

HI have recently bought a 3com 802.11G DSL gateway / wireless hub. I
currently use nildram for isp service through my PCI modem.

The 3com device does not seem to support PPPoA, only PPPoE. and fixed IP
Nildram have told me that they do not offer PPPoE, and that nearly all UK
ISPs are the same. Are the telling porkies ? or should I get ratty with 3com
for selling something that is not very useful in the UK market ?

cheers

Chris

Old February 10th 04, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ferger

In article , Chris Reid
wrote:
HI have recently bought a 3com 802.11G DSL gateway / wireless hub. I
currently use nildram for isp service through my PCI modem.

The 3com device does not seem to support PPPoA, only PPPoE. and fixed IP
Nildram have told me that they do not offer PPPoE, and that nearly all UK
ISPs are the same. Are the telling porkies ? or should I get ratty with 3com
for selling something that is not very useful in the UK market ?

cheers

Chris

All BT Wholesale provided DSL products are PPPoA. Get ratty with 3com (unless
you accidentally bought a cable-broadband product...)

Old February 10th 04, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Huck Portobello

Yes., most Brit BB ISP's are PPPoA ....
Old February 10th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Thatsmyboy

"Chris Reid" wrote in message
o.uk...
HI have recently bought a 3com 802.11G DSL gateway / wireless hub. I
currently use nildram for isp service through my PCI modem.

The 3com device does not seem to support PPPoA, only PPPoE. and fixed IP
Nildram have told me that they do not offer PPPoE, and that nearly all UK
ISPs are the same. Are the telling porkies ? or should I get ratty with

3com
for selling something that is not very useful in the UK market ?

cheers

Chris

Have you tried their site for firmware/driver upgrades? Had same problem
with a 3com adsl dual link modem sold in UK but docs were french. After some
faffing around their site found what I needed, now works a treat.
http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/p...athtype=downlo
ad
Hope this helps.
Regards Russ

Old February 11th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Reid

Ah well, Have checked the Website, but no software updates are available. I
have e-mailed 3com to ask why they are selleing a DSL product in the UK that
does not work here, maybe they'll knock up a software mod.....

cheers

Chris

Old February 11th 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Pearce

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:58:29 -0000, "Chris Reid"
wrote:

Ah well, Have checked the Website, but no software updates are available. I
have e-mailed 3com to ask why they are selleing a DSL product in the UK that
does not work here, maybe they'll knock up a software mod.....

You may be able to connect via PPPoE, I can use either.
Old February 11th 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Thatsmyboy

"Chris Reid" wrote in message
o.uk...
Ah well, Have checked the Website, but no software updates are available.

have e-mailed 3com to ask why they are selleing a DSL product in the UK

that
does not work here, maybe they'll knock up a software mod.....

cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Do you still have the box it came in. Post product code et all please. It
took me awhile to sort out the "correct" codes. .
Don't mean to imply/say you can't do this yourself, but every search came
back no updates available. until I played around with the product code ???
Russ.

Old February 11th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rusty

Huck Portobello wrote:

Yes., most Brit BB ISP's are PPPoA ....

Its not down to the ISP. BT have recently upgraded the network to handle
pppoe as well.