Wireless router interferes with TV

Old February 10th 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

Default Wireless router interferes with TV

I have a video sender system using 2.4GHz to send TV pictures from the main set
to a set in the kitchen.

Unfortunately, and perhaps not surprisingly, my wireless broadband router (a
Bellini model) produces regular impulse interference on the kitchen TV.

I have tried all of the available channels on the TV unit to no avail. Is there
any way to change the frequency and/or bandwidth of the Bellini router, in order
to alleviate this?

JPG

Old February 10th 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:48:02 +0000, JPG wrote:

I have a video sender system using 2.4GHz to send TV pictures from the main set
to a set in the kitchen.

Unfortunately, and perhaps not surprisingly, my wireless broadband router (a
Bellini model) produces regular impulse interference on the kitchen TV.

I have tried all of the available channels on the TV unit to no avail. Is there
any way to change the frequency and/or bandwidth of the Bellini router, in order
to alleviate this?

JPG

Bloody spellchequer - Belkin router not "Bellini"

JPG
Old February 10th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ferger

In article , Jpg wrote:
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:48:02 +0000, JPG wrote:

I have a video sender system using 2.4GHz to send TV pictures from the main set
to a set in the kitchen.

Unfortunately, and perhaps not surprisingly, my wireless broadband router (a
Bellini model) produces regular impulse interference on the kitchen TV.

I have tried all of the available channels on the TV unit to no avail. Is there
any way to change the frequency and/or bandwidth of the Bellini router, in order
to alleviate this?

Almost certainly. I don't know your router, but would imagine you can log into it
by http:\\ ing to its IP address. Option should be in there somewhere.

I had the same problem with AEG Digisenders on the default channel 11 on my 3comm
WAP (which may not equate to your channel 11, but all WiFi products seem to come
configured for "channel 11" as the default). Try channel 5, which happily co-exist
with mine (and the baby alarm, and the DECT phones.....you have to love these
unregulated wavebands)

Old February 10th 04, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Brown

"Ferger" wrote in message
I had the same problem with AEG Digisenders on the default channel 11 on

my 3comm
WAP (which may not equate to your channel 11, but all WiFi products seem

to come
configured for "channel 11" as the default). Try channel 5, which happily

co-exist
with mine (and the baby alarm, and the DECT phones.....you have to love

these
unregulated wavebands)

DECT phones operate in the 1.9GHz band so will not interfere with your
802.11b/WiFi devices which operates in the 2.4GHz band.

I read somewhere that if there are other WiFi networks which overlaps with
yours it is better to select one of the channels at the two far ends (i.e.
channel 1 and channel 11) as these two channels do not overlap with each
other. All other channels will cause the bands to overlap which presumably
would deteriorate the transmission quality.

Old February 10th 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ferger

Gordon Brown secured a place in history by writing:

DECT phones operate in the 1.9GHz band so will not interfere with your
802.11b/WiFi devices which operates in the 2.4GHz band.

Interesting - I've seen specific comment that suggests DECT phones can be a
source of conflict.

I read somewhere that if there are other WiFi networks which overlaps
with yours it is better to select one of the channels at the two far
ends (i.e. channel 1 and channel 11) as these two channels do not
overlap with each other. All other channels will cause the bands to
overlap which presumably would deteriorate the transmission quality.

1 didn't work for mine. And the far ends that I've seen on WiFi products
are 1 and 13, not 11

Old February 10th 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Brown

"Ferger" wrote in message
Gordon Brown secured a place in history by writing:

DECT phones operate in the 1.9GHz band so will not interfere with your
802.11b/WiFi devices which operates in the 2.4GHz band.

Interesting - I've seen specific comment that suggests DECT phones can be

source of conflict.

I read somewhere that if there are other WiFi networks which overlaps
with yours it is better to select one of the channels at the two far
ends (i.e. channel 1 and channel 11) as these two channels do not
overlap with each other. All other channels will cause the bands to
overlap which presumably would deteriorate the transmission quality.

1 didn't work for mine. And the far ends that I've seen on WiFi products
are 1 and 13, not 11

You are correct, mine was purchased in the USA where 11 is the max permitted
by the FCC.

Old February 11th 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Gordon Brown . wrote:

DECT phones operate in the 1.9GHz band so will not interfere with your
802.11b/WiFi devices which operates in the 2.4GHz band.

I read somewhere that if there are other WiFi networks which overlaps with
yours it is better to select one of the channels at the two far ends (i.e.
channel 1 and channel 11) as these two channels do not overlap with each
other. All other channels will cause the bands to overlap which presumably
would deteriorate the transmission quality.

Half the problem with consumer kit is that they just can't get the
filters to be accurate for the money you want to pay for them, so they
tend to bleed a little and cause interference...

WiFi comes with either 11 or 13 channels depending on the country you
bought the things in, but they are not clear channels! I don't have the
exact figures to-hand, but its something like 20MHz channel spacing,
but each channel is 50Mhz wide! So channel 1 will spread up to channel 3
so the next truley clear channel is channel 6. So in reality you only have
3 clear channels with WiFi in the 2.4GHz range )-: You can improve things
if you have kit which is capable of horizintal polarisation, but most
indoor stuff is designed to work with vertically polarised omni antennaes.

On top of that is the "ISM" band - Industrial, Scientific, Medical which
(IIRC) was what the 2.4Ghz band was originally unlicensed for. Town TV
cameras might work on this band, as might your TV remote coupler thing,
wireless headphones, Bluetooth, etc. DECT works in the 1.9GHz band so
shouldn't interfere, but ...

So the best you can do is try to keep the channels as far apart as
possible, and to physically keep the antenna apart - at least a meter
if possible, the more the better.

Good luck!

Gordon

Old February 11th 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:11:55 +0000 (UTC), (Gordon
Henderson) wrote:

In article ,
Gordon Brown . wrote:

[...]

Some RF attenuation feature might be useful if Wifi devices are close together,
although I didn't recall any means for doing this by accessing the router set-up
page (192.168.2.1).

I did try changing channel from 11 to 1 but to no avail - I will experiment
further.

Good luck!

Gordon

Old February 11th 04, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bigbrian

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:59:41 GMT, Ferger
wrote:

In article , Jpg wrote:
[...]

My AEG Digisender also works fine with the wireless network -it gets
buggered by the microwave though

Brian
Old February 11th 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ferger

bigbrian secured a place in history by writing:

it gets
buggered by the microwave though

They all do that Sir.