Problem with BT broadband connection

Old February 10th 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Default Problem with BT broadband connection

I have a problem with my BT Broadband connection.

Sometimes I can't connect (it "dials" but no connection) and sometimes it
drops the line and refuses to reconnect. When I run the diagnostics (the
ones supplied by BT I get a "line" error). If I disconnect the USB
connection (I'm using a USB Voyager 100) and re-connect then the modems
always works (for a while - but sometimes all evening).

The odd thing is that this has happened to me before. Exactly the same
thing - which progressively got worse (shorter connection times). I solved
it by re-installing my OS (XP Pro) - it then worked perfectly - until now.

The other odd thing is that (both times it has happened) it co-incides with
a general slow down of my PC (especially boot times). BTW I'm fastidious
about my virus protection so I don't have a virus.

Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone suggest a solution - apart from
another re-installation of the OS?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old February 10th 04, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Houston

"Bobby" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe a new modem or even a router?

James H

Old February 10th 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"J Houston" wrote in message

"Bobby" wrote in message
[...]

I never had any success with a USB connected ADSL modem. USB can be 'flaky'
at the best of times.

I switched to a Ethernet ADSL modem/router and have never had a problem
since

Clive

Old February 10th 04, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Clive" wrote in message

"J Houston" wrote in message

"Bobby" wrote in message
[...]

Same here, but i swapped for an internal pci adsl modem as i have no need to
ever connect a second pc

--
daZza.............

remove knickers to reply ;-)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old February 10th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"Bobby" wrote in message
[...]

I've got more or less the same symptoms as you! Been over a week now -
raised with ISP who escalated it to BT. I can connect for maybe up to a
minute, then.... nowt! The (Ethernet) modem says its connected, but no
traffic, no pings to the outside world - nothing! Disconnect/Reconnect and
then all is normal - for another minute or so. I've now raised it with the
ADSL Modem maker (D-Link) who are sending me a new modem, but I don't think
that the modem is faulty because sometimes, just sometimes, I'm handed an IP
address from my ISP (I'm on a Dynamic IP) which the modem likes and will
stay connected to.

---

Old February 11th 04, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Cain

"Clive" wrote in message

[snip tale of broadband woe]

Maybe a new modem or even a router?

James H

I never had any success with a USB connected ADSL modem. USB can be

'flaky'
at the best of times.

I switched to a Ethernet ADSL modem/router and have never had a problem
since

Clive

I'll second that.

I experienced similar troubles to the OP with a USB modem.

I switched to an ADSL modem/router/switch/firewall,
(Netgear DG834) and haven't looked back.

Tim.

---

Old February 11th 04, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Serguei P.

I have even stranger things happening. As in your case the modem says it is
connected but no traffic after under a minute time of inactivity. But if I
am running any software that accesses the Web constantly (e.g. Internet
Radio) the connection works perfectly.
I've got a USB modem.

s.com...

Old February 11th 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

windows is crap at networking and XP is unreliable. sure, you can run a
spreadsheet ok but its no good at network stuff cos it uses a known awful
TCP stack.

one solution is to get a router to let that handle the connection.

another would be to get a mac or a linux PC - maybe a bit extreme but
re-installing the whole OS and all your programs every couple of months
ain't fun either!

kev

Old February 11th 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

windows is crap at networking and XP is unreliable.

You taken your pills today?

one solution is to get a router to let that handle the connection.

Maybe you have...

another would be to get a mac

No you haven't, have you?

or a linux PC