Maintainance Q's

Old February 11th 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lawrence Stromski

Default Maintainance Q's

Hi All,

I have a couple of Q's on what happens when BT perform maintainance.
You can quite frequently see on the BTOW site a list of Exchanges where they
are currently performing ADSL maintainance and they say this will effect the
service during a period.

If BTOW perform maintainance at an exchange, does this affect everyone in
that exchange area on every ADSL provider, not just BTOW?

At the moment, I think if they say they are performing maintainance on the
Home Gateway, thats spacific to BTOW, but if they are perfoming maintainance
on the DSLAM, that affects every ISP. Am I right?

Sorry if my terminology usage is a bit wrong, I'm a little hazy on exactly
what each thing does.

Regards,
-Lawrence Stromski.

Old February 11th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:43:51 +0000, Lawrence Stromski wrote:

Hi All,

I have a couple of Q's on what happens when BT perform maintainance.
You can quite frequently see on the BTOW site a list of Exchanges where they
are currently performing ADSL maintainance and they say this will effect the
service during a period.

If BTOW perform maintainance at an exchange, does this affect everyone in
that exchange area on every ADSL provider, not just BTOW?

At the moment, I think if they say they are performing maintainance on the
Home Gateway, thats spacific to BTOW, but if they are perfoming maintainance
on the DSLAM, that affects every ISP. Am I right?

Sorry if my terminology usage is a bit wrong, I'm a little hazy on exactly
what each thing does.

Regards,
-Lawrence Stromski.

BTOW won't do any maintainance on the DSLAM. That is carried out by BT
Wholesale. And yes that will effect all ISP's as they all share the same
DSLAM. Unless the exchamge has been unbundled, it could then have multiple
DSLAMS belonging to various ISP's

Any help?

Graham

Old February 12th 04, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lawrence Stromski

Ok, sounds good. So the maintainance thats listed on the BTOW Broadband
service status page, is this work thats being carried out by BT Wholesale
or BTOW or a mixture of both?

.....What I'm getting at is when I migrate to another ISP, if I keep checking
the BTOW service status page, will I be informed about outages that are
gonna affect my new ISP as well or just BTOW?

Tks!

-Lawrence.

news

Old February 12th 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:19:52 +0000, Lawrence Stromski wrote:

Ok, sounds good. So the maintainance thats listed on the BTOW Broadband
service status page, is this work thats being carried out by BT Wholesale
or BTOW or a mixture of both?

....What I'm getting at is when I migrate to another ISP, if I keep checking
the BTOW service status page, will I be informed about outages that are
gonna affect my new ISP as well or just BTOW?

Tks!

-Lawrence.

That depends on the ISP. BT Wholesale inform them if work is to be done.
It is up to them to pass it on to their customers. It is also up to them
to inform their customers of any service affecting work they do themselves.

Graham