ADSL availability?

Old February 11th 04, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan Davies

Default ADSL availability?

Does anyone know if BT has plans to enable ADSL provision outside current
noise/distance limits?

I know that there are long term plans to implement DSL the way it was
designed to be implemented - via street cabinets - but is there a more
immediate plan to upgrade existing service availability?

Gareth.

Old February 11th 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HamMan

"Allan Davies" wrote in message
Does anyone know if BT has plans to enable ADSL provision outside current
noise/distance limits?

I know that there are long term plans to implement DSL the way it was
designed to be implemented - via street cabinets - but is there a more
immediate plan to upgrade existing service availability?

Gareth.

IDSL is under trial at the moemnet in the exchange next to me. They have the
strange situation that there are 3 times as many houses outside the service
range as there are inside.
Dont expect national deployment for a year or so, if at all knowing BT.

hamman

Old February 11th 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan Davies

"HamMan" wrote in message

"Allan Davies" wrote in message
Does anyone know if BT has plans to enable ADSL provision outside

current
noise/distance limits?

I know that there are long term plans to implement DSL the way it was
designed to be implemented - via street cabinets - but is there a more
immediate plan to upgrade existing service availability?

Gareth.

IDSL is under trial at the moemnet in the exchange next to me. They have

the
strange situation that there are 3 times as many houses outside the

service
range as there are inside.

This is also the case with ADSL in many places. I see that IDSL isn't even
on the agenda in the 2 large urban areas I'm interested in.

The premise of exchange radius/line noise seems to be fundamentally flawed
and hardly defensible. Part of the problem is incentive for investment - BT
is obviously a private company and unfortunately there is no public service
ethos in the UK. I just wish (along with many others) that DSL had been
implemented in a more robust, yet admittedly capital intensive, manner.

NTL seems to have a good presence in the area I think I'll be moving to but
it's hard to know with them. Still, I would much prefer to stay with ADSL -
it seems to be cheaper for one thing.

Gareth.

Old February 11th 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Allan Davies" wrote in message
Does anyone know if BT has plans to enable ADSL provision outside current
noise/distance limits?

Long term ones only - currently in the technical evaluation phase.

I know that there are long term plans to implement DSL the way it was
designed to be implemented - via street cabinets - but is there a more
immediate plan to upgrade existing service availability?

ADSL was always designed to be deployed at telephone exchanges.

There is always the chance that someone will deploy ADSL2 but that will
probably be LLU operators and not BT Wholesale.

DSL via street cabinets will probably be VDSL and is a couple of years away
at least.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 13th 04, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bigbrian

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:07:36 -0000, "HamMan"
wrote:

"Allan Davies" wrote in message
Does anyone know if BT has plans to enable ADSL provision outside current
noise/distance limits?

I know that there are long term plans to implement DSL the way it was
designed to be implemented - via street cabinets - but is there a more
immediate plan to upgrade existing service availability?

Gareth.

IDSL is under trial at the moemnet in the exchange next to me. They have the
strange situation that there are 3 times as many houses outside the service
range as there are inside.

In Basingstoke, its more like 10 times

Brian