Is BB ISP specific?

Old February 11th 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Harris

Default Is BB ISP specific?

If for instance I have my line ASDL enabled and use Nildram. Could a
friend bring his laptop/BB modem and connect to Clara on my ASDL
enabled line?
Old February 11th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:37:32 +0000, Andy Harris
wrote:

If for instance I have my line ASDL enabled and use Nildram. Could a
friend bring his laptop/BB modem and connect to Clara on my ASDL
enabled line?

Hi Andy. No. A line is dedicated to one particular ISP only.

--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net
Old February 11th 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

wrote:

If for instance I have my line ASDL enabled and use Nildram. Could a
friend bring his laptop/BB modem and connect to Clara on my ASDL
enabled line?

Hi Andy. No. A line is dedicated to one particular ISP only.

Though it "may" work - no guarantees though

I have certainly got a "Pipex account" to work on a "BT openworld" line in
the past.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 12th 04, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:13:03 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

If for instance I have my line ASDL enabled and use Nildram. Could a
friend bring his laptop/BB modem and connect to Clara on my ASDL
enabled line?

Hi Andy. No. A line is dedicated to one particular ISP only.

Though it "may" work - no guarantees though

I have certainly got a "Pipex account" to work on a "BT openworld" line in
the past.

Hi Sunil,

Seriously ? Impressed !

--
Andy Jenkins
http://www.uk-bug.net : The UK Broadband Usergroup.
Old February 13th 04, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Steve" wrote in message
I have certainly got a "Pipex account" to work on a "BT openworld" line
in
the past.

Did you actually look at the IP address you were issued ?

I'd be very surprised if it was a Pipex one.

Yes, it was a Pipex IP.

It logged into Pipex "as normal" - otherwise there would have either been no
conenctivity or an "internal" BT Wholesale IP address and associated error
message

The only thing I would say is that the line was one of the very early ADSL
enabled ones, so its possible BT Wholesale/the ISP's may be locking down
their systems more now but it did work.

Regards
Sunil