How do I setup an ah-hoc wireless network ?

Old February 11th 04, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default How do I setup an ah-hoc wireless network ?

Is there a simple guide for all this online with as much detail as possible
? I can't believe how complecated this is

Old February 11th 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

It's not complicated. It just sounds complicated. And it works great.

I would advise you to get the same brand of wireless adaptors for each
device (PC, laptop etc.). I have three Belkin cards (2 x desktop + 1 x
laptop).

All I did was:

1. install the cards (follow the manufacturer's advice - Belkin insist that
you install the driver *first - then the card).

2. use the supplied configuration utility to make various selections such as
network name. Belkin also insisted that you do NOT allow "Windows to control
your network adaptors".

I just messed around with a few settings and hey presto it worked!

Subscribe to a wireless networking newsgroup if you experience problems. I
found them very helpful (I initially got 1Mbs connection instead of 5-36Mbs
which I presently get - I have 54Mbs cards).

Sorry I'm not more helpful - but I forget what I did to get my ad hoc
networking going. But that tells its own story - it's never failed since I
set it up.

Bobby