ADSL migration and unhelpful ISPs

Old February 11th 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB

Default ADSL migration and unhelpful ISPs

Hi,

Has anyone tried to migrate an ADSL service from one ISP to another and had
difficulty in getting your original ISP to reveal the CBUK number? I'm
currently with Tollon and they are refusing point blank to reveal the number
unless I cancel the service first (which somewhat defeats the need for it
anyway!).

Old February 11th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sgw

If you've had your contract in excess of their minimum period, there's no
reason for them not to give it to you.

You might mention OfCom - like do you have their contact details
You might mention that if they won't give it to you, then you'll just have
to post on all the various forums, mentioning their name of course, whilst
enquiring how you might proceed.

You might ask to be escalated up to someone of authority.
Ask for their Head Office details

But by the time you do all that, it might be quicker and less stress just to
cancel.

Old February 11th 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"DB" wrote in message
Hi,

Has anyone tried to migrate an ADSL service from one ISP

to another and had
difficulty in getting your original ISP to reveal the CBUK

number? I'm
currently with Tollon and they are refusing point blank to

reveal the number
unless I cancel the service first (which somewhat defeats

the need for it
anyway!).

Having the CBUK doesn't guarantee a migration will occur
anyway ;-)

P.

Old February 11th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB

"sgw" wrote in message
If you've had your contract in excess of their minimum period, there's no
reason for them not to give it to you.

Yes I have, and there's nothing in their T&C that mentions this. They're
just being bloody minded.

You might mention OfCom - like do you have their contact details
You might mention that if they won't give it to you, then you'll just have
to post on all the various forums, mentioning their name of course, whilst
enquiring how you might proceed.

Like this, you mean? They did threaten to sue me for libel but, as I pointed
out to them, libel involves making untrue statements. I'm sticking to
provable facts.

You might ask to be escalated up to someone of authority.
Ask for their Head Office details

Already written to them with a complaint about poor service, but no
response.

But by the time you do all that, it might be quicker and less stress just

cancel.

Stress is part of my job description so I'm not too worried about that. The
problem with cancelling though is that you can't order a new service until
the old one has been ceased. The downside of this is the loss of service in
between.

Old February 11th 04, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB

Having the CBUK doesn't guarantee a migration will occur
anyway ;-)

No it doesn't, but it's a step in the right direction.

Old February 11th 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"DB" wrote in message

Having the CBUK doesn't guarantee a migration will occur
anyway ;-)

No it doesn't, but it's a step in the right direction.

The most important info is the BT Product type ie: datastream 2000 etc.
I had the same problem with tiscali (t*****s) i told them that i had
contacted BT who informed me that it was there legal obligation to supply my
CBUK number as i was the account holder and at the time still paying for the
service, took a fair bit of arguing but i got it in the end. Still couldnt
migrate though as Tiscal (t*****s) use a datastream 2000 line and share it
between 4 users to give an effective 512 connection (t*****s).
Just try and syncronise your termination and re-activation dates as close as
possible, good planning can reduce your down time to 1-2 days
HTH

--
daZza.............

remove knickers to reply ;-)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old February 12th 04, 08:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Use the subject access provisions of the Data Protection Act. It will cost
you ten pounds but they HAVE to give you the information or face
prosecution.

Old February 12th 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Use the subject access provisions of the Data Protection Act. It will cost
you ten pounds but they HAVE to give you the information or face
prosecution.

Thanks for the suggestion Peter, but I wonder if this is covered by the DPA
as it's not really personal data.