adsl extention to telephone line?

Old February 12th 04, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward Turners brother

Default adsl extention to telephone line?

Does anyone know if it is possible (for a novice) to take off the
faceplate that the BT engineer installed when I first got my ADSL
line, and replace it with one that has a socket for a phone as well as
ADSL? I want to use the phone while on my pc and without the expense
of getting a cordless phone.

Many thanks

Ed

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old February 12th 04, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On 12 Feb 2004 08:50:36 GMT, Edward Turners brother
wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible (for a novice) to take off the
faceplate that the BT engineer installed when I first got my ADSL
line, and replace it with one that has a socket for a phone as well as
ADSL?

It is though you would need to get a special faceplate, i.e. a
microfilter in the faceplate.

A simple and effective alternative is to get a microfilter separate to
the socket. You then plug the modem and the phone, and the microfilter
into the socket. Dabs.com have one for £4.50
http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=2876

You need a microfilter between the phone and the BT line for the phone
to work properly, on ADSL lines...
Old February 12th 04, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"Edward Turners brother" wrote in message

Does anyone know if it is possible (for a novice) to take off the
faceplate that the BT engineer installed when I first got my ADSL
line, and replace it with one that has a socket for a phone as well as
ADSL? I want to use the phone while on my pc and without the expense
of getting a cordless phone.

Many thanks

Ed

Here you go
http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm
ADSL Faceplate Splitter - A splitter of the type installed and used by the
BT engineer for an installed ADSL service. Replaces the lower half of the BT
'NTE5' master box and provides a filtered connection for both a local
telephone and slave sockets hardwired from the rear. We also supply the the
NTE5 original socket if you need to use a faceplate splitter at a location
other than your main BT-Master socket.
The ADSL (unfiltered) signal is only available on the front panel on this
filter

HTH

Gaz

Old February 12th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible (for a novice) to take off the
faceplate that the BT engineer installed when I first got my ADSL
line, and replace it with one that has a socket for a phone as well as
ADSL? I want to use the phone while on my pc and without the expense
of getting a cordless phone.

Not sure you've got the idea of it yet, or I haven't. What type of s
extension ocket, what's wrong with plugging into the microfilter. What
type of master socket do you have?
You can do it, depending on what's there there are different ways.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old February 12th 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward Turners brother

wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible (for a novice) to take off the
faceplate that the BT engineer installed when I first got my ADSL
line, and replace it with one that has a socket for a phone as well as
ADSL? I want to use the phone while on my pc and without the expense
of getting a cordless phone.

Many thanks

Ed

Thanks for the advice, will order parts now!

Cheers

Old February 12th 04, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Edward Turners brother wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible (for a novice) to take off the
faceplate that the BT engineer installed when I first got my ADSL
line, and replace it with one that has a socket for a phone as well
as
ADSL? I want to use the phone while on my pc and without the expense
of getting a cordless phone.

If it is an engineer fitted filter it will already have a socket for a
phone..........

Try looking at it...

Old February 12th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward Turners brother

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:09:50 -0000, "Kráftéé"
wrote:

Edward Turners brother wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible (for a novice) to take off the
faceplate that the BT engineer installed when I first got my ADSL
line, and replace it with one that has a socket for a phone as well
as
ADSL? I want to use the phone while on my pc and without the expense
of getting a cordless phone.

If it is an engineer fitted filter it will already have a socket for a
phone..........

Try looking at it...

Not very funny.
I have been looking at it for over 2 years knobber!
The engineer fitted a master splitter and then fitted an end box in
another room. This is the one I want to change.
Try learning to read.

Old February 12th 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

wrote:

Edward Turners brother wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible (for a novice) to take off the
faceplate that the BT engineer installed when I first got my ADSL
line, and replace it with one that has a socket for a phone as
well as
ADSL? I want to use the phone while on my pc and without the
expense of getting a cordless phone.

If it is an engineer fitted filter it will already have a socket
for a phone..........

Try looking at it...

Not very funny.
I have been looking at it for over 2 years knobber!
The engineer fitted a master splitter and then fitted an end box in
another room. This is the one I want to change.
Try learning to read.

Try learning to post what you mean & not putting your own labels to things,
that way people have a chance of actually understanding what you're
drivelling on about. The faceplate is put on the front of the NTE5 (master
socket) & is called a filter, not splitter & contains a socket for bothe
analogue & DSL . The thing you call an 'end box' is in fact a dsl/digital
extension socket & is fed from the DSL socket....

Now you know some of the terminology try actually reading what you actually
posted (I've left it there for you & everybody else to read) & then I won't
hold my breath for the appology which you owe both me & everybody else who
has been misled by what you originally posted...

Old February 12th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

wrote:

Edward Turners brother wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible (for a novice) to take off the
faceplate that the BT engineer installed when I first got my ADSL
line, and replace it with one that has a socket for a phone as well
as
ADSL? I want to use the phone while on my pc and without the expense
of getting a cordless phone.

If it is an engineer fitted filter it will already have a socket for a
phone..........

Try looking at it...

Not very funny.
I have been looking at it for over 2 years knobber!
The engineer fitted a master splitter and then fitted an end box in
another room. This is the one I want to change.
Try learning to read.

Try learning to write.
I'd leave it to someone who knows what they're doing if I were you,
fortunately I'm not you though.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old February 16th 04, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R W

wrote:

Edward Turners brother wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible (for a novice) to take off the
faceplate that the BT engineer installed when I first got my ADSL
line, and replace it with one that has a socket for a phone as well
as
ADSL? I want to use the phone while on my pc and without the expense
of getting a cordless phone.

If it is an engineer fitted filter it will already have a socket for

Try looking at it...

Not very funny.
I have been looking at it for over 2 years knobber!
The engineer fitted a master splitter and then fitted an end box in
another room. This is the one I want to change.
Try learning to read.

With an attitude like that you'll be lucky if anyone bothers to answer
your question, loser.