Number of phone om ADSL line

Old February 12th 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Default Number of phone om ADSL line

One of my friends is thinking of switching over to ADSL in there home.
Currently they have 7 telephone hansets plugged into various sockets around
the house. I understand with ADSL each one of those will need a filter. But
are there are problems/limitations/drawbacks they are likely to encounter
with 7 handets on the same line
Thanks

Old February 12th 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

"Tony" wrote in message
One of my friends is thinking of switching over to ADSL in there home.
Currently they have 7 telephone hansets plugged into various sockets

around
the house. I understand with ADSL each one of those will need a filter.

Only if they want broadband available at each extension (but can only use
one modem at a time). Otherwise they only need one filter at master socket
with extensions plugged into the phone side and PC into the ADSL.

But
are there are problems/limitations/drawbacks they are likely to encounter
with 7 handets on the same line

Unless they have a line booster, 7 wired extensions will almost certainly
exceed REN 4. Don't they have problems with phones not ringing etc? If they
have a booster and everything works, having ADSL shouldn't affect voice
calls.

Alec

Old February 12th 04, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Tony wrote:

One of my friends is thinking of switching over to ADSL in there home.
Currently they have 7 telephone hansets plugged into various sockets around
the house. I understand with ADSL each one of those will need a filter. But

It would make more sense in that situation to fit a "whole house" filter
at the master socket rather than have individual filters at every
socket. This would mean either siting the router near the master socket
or adding some wiring to provide a unfiltered connection near to where
you want the router.

are there are problems/limitations/drawbacks they are likely to encounter
with 7 handets on the same line

You may get problems with phones not ringing or ringing quietly since
you are likely to be exceeding the recommended REN for the line. Having
said that, if they all work currently, then it is possible that they
will carry on doing so with ADSL.

--
Cheers,

John.