plusnet or aol

Old February 12th 04, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mikephelan44

Default plusnet or aol

i am thinking of upgrading to braodband soon. Currently I am with AOL but have
been recommended Plusnet. What have been peoples experiences with either or
both and is one much better than the other.

I will be looking for simplicity in set up (I have BT line), reliability of
access when it is set up and any problems with firewall (somebody says Zone
Alarm does not work well with aol software).

Thanks in advance

Mike
Old February 12th 04, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Mikephelan44" wrote in message
i am thinking of upgrading to braodband soon. Currently I am with AOL but

have
been recommended Plusnet. What have been peoples experiences with either

or
both and is one much better than the other.

Whatever you do forget AOL. They're crap.

Old February 12th 04, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jacquih

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message

"Mikephelan44" wrote in message
i am thinking of upgrading to braodband soon. Currently I am with AOL

but
have
been recommended Plusnet. What have been peoples experiences with either

or
both and is one much better than the other.

Whatever you do forget AOL. They're crap.

I'll second that -ANY ISP is better than AOL

Old February 12th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) II

Why are AOL crap? What are your reasons? Do you mean the software or the
actual broadband? I use AOL software over an NTL connection and it's fine.

Old February 12th 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nice Chap

I have been with plusnet for over two months now and I am quite happy with
it. I have never experienced any network problems. I did however have a
problem with installation as they sent out wrong instruction leaflets with
the modem. The issue was sorted very quickly by Binatone.

If you are planning to go with Plusnet then I would recommend that you
install Service Pack1 if you are using XP. Without this the modem won't
install.

Old February 12th 04, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike E

The AOL software is abysmal. Far too restrictive. *nanny state* stuff IMO.
My son is on AOL and I'm on Pipex. We can't use msn messenger as AOL won't
allow it. Almost any other provider would. AOL have other restictions too.
Wouldn't touch with the metaphorical barge pole.

Mike

Old February 12th 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Brown

"Mikephelan44" wrote in message
i am thinking of upgrading to braodband soon. Currently I am with AOL but

have
been recommended Plusnet. What have been peoples experiences with either

or
both and is one much better than the other.

Mike

No competition - go to plus.net - been with them for two years and they are
pretty good.

alan brown

Old February 13th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Guy Morgan

In message , Alan Brown
writes

"Mikephelan44" wrote in message
i am thinking of upgrading to braodband soon. Currently I am with AOL but

have
been recommended Plusnet. What have been peoples experiences with either

or
both and is one much better than the other.

Mike

No competition - go to plus.net - been with them for two years and they are
pretty good.

That's been my experience too. My only gripe is with the almost
completely ineffective spam trap. It picks up less than 10% of what
Norton 2004 spots and unlike the one on my old BT a/c doesn't dump spam
from the server.

Anyway surely anything's better than Always Off Line :-)}

Guy
--
Guy Morgan
Old February 13th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) II

Hmmm....I can see how people might decide against it then :-) It's a good
job my broadband is provided by someone else. I just use the AOL software
coz all my mates r on it...with the chat rooms and AOL messenger. I'm glad
you pointed out the restrictions with home networking as we have 3 PC's on a
wireless network...it works fine with NTL but sound slike it may not do with
AOL.

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Gareth :-) II wrote:

Why are AOL crap? What are your reasons? Do you mean the software or the
actual broadband? I use AOL software over an NTL connection and it's

fine.

The actual broadband is probably OK. The main problems stem from the
history of the way AOL has "grown up" to offer internet access from its
beginnings as a multi user bulletin board designed for use by numpties.

The main complication is that unlike most ISPs that let you setup a
straight forward TCP/IP connection with the ISPs servers (usually via
PPP or a variant), AOL insist that you use their bespoke software which
creates a VPN connection to their servers. This introduces a bunch of
limitations that you will not find with other ISPs.

For starters since they are using a VPN connection already, they
preclude you setting up your own VPN - hence things like remote access
to the office network become a non starter. Use of a router for sharing
a connection is possible but far more complex then with other ISPs.
Using computers other that Windows based PCs is difficult / impossible.
Because you have a VPN connection setup, any firewall you have built
into your router may also be bypassed in many cases. Finally they limit
access to a number of ports (and hence internet services) that you may
want to access - people have mentioned netmeeting, you may also find
that access to email servers other than AOLs is also not possible
because the block SMTP etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 13th 04, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
londoncpl

you can use a home network on aol and log in all 7 screen names at the same
time