HH managed conversion

Old February 12th 04, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
R W

Default HH managed conversion

Hi,

I'm getting an ADSL service from A&A and they have given me an
activation date of 18 Feb. The line is currently a HH line, and they are
doing a "managed" conversion.

Now, although A&A haven't told me so, I assume I have to be at home on
the 18th so the BT bloke can come round and remove the HH gubbins and
test the line. Is this usual? If so I wonder why A&A haven't told me.

I just checked on the BT order status checker at

https://www.cs-server1.bt.com/hhway-...NUM=...&TELNUM

and they say they have an appointment to do the work between 8am and
10:30am so I definitely assumé I need to be at home.

But I've not received the modem & filters from A&A yet, will the line be
activated as soon as the test is complete?

[reposted to include uk.net.providers.aaisp]

Old February 12th 04, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Shaun Kemp

R W wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting an ADSL service from A&A and they have given me an
activation date of 18 Feb. The line is currently a HH line, and they are
doing a "managed" conversion.

Now, although A&A haven't told me so, I assume I have to be at home on
the 18th so the BT bloke can come round and remove the HH gubbins and
test the line. Is this usual? If so I wonder why A&A haven't told me.

We should have informed you of this already but if you can email your
account details to us I will look into this right away.

Shaun Kemp
Old February 12th 04, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Martin White

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:27:42 -0000, "R W"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting an ADSL service from A&A and they have given me an
activation date of 18 Feb. The line is currently a HH line, and they are
doing a "managed" conversion.

Now, although A&A haven't told me so, I assume I have to be at home on
the 18th so the BT bloke can come round and remove the HH gubbins and

Maybe not. A friend of mine recently went from HH to ADSL and BT have
left the HH Box in place (so no site visit required).

Myself I had ISDN2e, so BT actually had to come out remove the ISDN2e
box and replace it with a standard phone socket.

test the line. Is this usual? If so I wonder why A&A haven't told me.

Regards,
Martin

--

martin @ mgw (dot) org (dot) uk.
Old February 12th 04, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Kráftéé

wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting an ADSL service from A&A and they have given me an
activation date of 18 Feb. The line is currently a HH line, and
they are doing a "managed" conversion.

Now, although A&A haven't told me so, I assume I have to be at
home on the 18th so the BT bloke can come round and remove the HH
gubbins and

Maybe not. A friend of mine recently went from HH to ADSL and BT
have left the HH Box in place (so no site visit required).

They have maybe left it on site but is it still connected, there is a world
of difference.

AFAIHBT the only highway box which can be left in circuit has a yellow port
one cover & has only been supplied in the last few months, but personally
I'd still get the bugger out of circuit just to be sure...

Old February 12th 04, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Martin White

wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting an ADSL service from A&A and they have given me an
activation date of 18 Feb. The line is currently a HH line, and
they are doing a "managed" conversion.

Now, although A&A haven't told me so, I assume I have to be at
home on the 18th so the BT bloke can come round and remove the HH
gubbins and

Maybe not. A friend of mine recently went from HH to ADSL and BT
have left the HH Box in place (so no site visit required).

They have maybe left it on site but is it still connected, there is a world
of difference.

As it was explained to me, the HH box is still there but is only the
original number and BT socket that is still active, and he has plugged
his ADSL router into the BT socket.

AFAIHBT the only highway box which can be left in circuit has a yellow port
one cover & has only been supplied in the last few months, but personally
I'd still get the bugger out of circuit just to be sure...

I agree, if it had been me I would have wanted them to come and remove
it.

Regards,
Martin

--

martin @ mgw (dot) org (dot) uk.
Old February 12th 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Mark Knight

In message , Martin White
writes
Maybe not. A friend of mine recently went from HH to ADSL and BT have
left the HH Box in place (so no site visit required).

A few months back my HH box was completed removed by the BT engineer. I
enquired whether is was necessary to remove it (there's some sort of
relay thing so when there's no ISDN service the first POTS falls back to
a normal analogue line).

The BT engineer said there was still some sort of filtering when the box
is in bypass mode, so the box has to be removed completely. I'm pretty
sure BT wouldn't bother sending an engineer out unless it was really
necessary, so this tallies.

Still a shame there's not a HH & ADSL service, I might have gone for
that!

Cheers,
--
Mark A. R. Knight finger:
Tel: +44 7973 410732
Old February 12th 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Julie Brandon

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:14:59 +0000, Mark Knight ) said:

Still a shame there's not a HH & ADSL service, I might have gone for
that!

All of this is, as far as I know, and if I remember correctly.... which I
may not... *8-D

There are two variations of ADSL that exist. There's ADSL on plain old
telephone lines, and ADSL on ISDN lines.

Unfortunately, due to interference issues, you can't have lines that carry
one ADSL sat alongside lines that carry the other type.

Sooo.... as such, we had to choose just ONE of the standards for the
country. We chose ADSL over plain analogue lines, because ISDN take-up has
been relatively low. I believe some other countries who had a much higher
take-up of ISDN may be primarily using ADSL over ISDN.

Ta-ra,

--
Julie Brandon http://www.computergeeks.co.uk/ (updated 9th Feb 04)
WEB PAGE UPDATE: The vase that haunts me ... 'elp! Anyone up for tackling
Old February 13th 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
R W

Shaun Kemp wrote:
R W wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting an ADSL service from A&A and they have given me an
activation date of 18 Feb. The line is currently a HH line, and they
are doing a "managed" conversion.

Now, although A&A haven't told me so, I assume I have to be at home
on the 18th so the BT bloke can come round and remove the HH gubbins
and test the line. Is this usual? If so I wonder why A&A haven't
told me.

We should have informed you of this already but if you can email your
account details to us I will look into this right away.

Shaun Kemp

Hi Shaun,

One of your staff contacted me within an hour of me sending that
message!

Thanks,

Mark