Linksys WAG54G modem/router any experience?

Old February 12th 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike E

Default Linksys WAG54G modem/router any experience?

I'm looking at buying a Linksys WAG54G modem/router. It looks good and spec
seems good, but can't find any reviews. It seems very cheap for what it is.
Also includes firewall.
Has anyone any experience of the quality, performance etc of this device.

My set up at the moment is this:
Stingray ADSL modem connected to main desktop PC
D-Link DWL G520+ PCI card adaptor in main PC
D-Link DWL G650+ PC card adaptor in Laptop
Then a 10Mb wire to another Desktop.

I'm going to try the Linksys first with the D-Link cards but don't hold out
much hope because I've heard of incompatabilty issues with D-Link cards.
I'm not going for a D-Link wireless access point because I want to get away
from the internet connection sharing by having to have the main PC switched
on. And it would work out cheaper to buy the Linksys complete setup than buy
a D-link modem and router (54Mb).

Also: what about zonealarm and the buit in firewall in the Linksys? Will
Zonealarm not work, or is it completely unnecessary, as the hardware
firewall will do a more than good enough job? Advice please.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old February 12th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

In article ,
says...
I'm looking at buying a Linksys WAG54G modem/router. It looks good and spec
seems good, but can't find any reviews. It seems very cheap for what it is.
Also includes firewall.
Has anyone any experience of the quality, performance etc of this device.

I have the WRT54G which is the router without the modem and think it is
excellent, so good that we now use one in the office as well. Very easy
to setup and good performance with the Linksys cards, there is a Belkin
wireless card in the office and it works as well as the Linksys cards.

I'm going to try the Linksys first with the D-Link cards but don't hold out
much hope because I've heard of incompatabilty issues with D-Link cards.
I'm not going for a D-Link wireless access point because I want to get away
from the internet connection sharing by having to have the main PC switched
on. And it would work out cheaper to buy the Linksys complete setup than buy
a D-link modem and router (54Mb).

Also: what about zonealarm and the buit in firewall in the Linksys? Will
Zonealarm not work, or is it completely unnecessary, as the hardware
firewall will do a more than good enough job? Advice please.

I would leave Zonealarm on the PCs as well as using the firewall in the
linksys.

HTH
Old February 12th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

Ive just ordered one from Dabs. Fingers crossed. I've found ICS across an
ad-hoc wireless network to be a bit of a pain but workable for a home setup.