BT Extender - Will This Be Affected by ADSL

Old February 12th 04, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default BT Extender - Will This Be Affected by ADSL

Broadband is arriving in our household on 19th Feb - our excahnge went ADSL
yesterday - and Pipex have despatched my micro-filters.

Originally when we moved in, we had a standard BT socket and one or two
extension sockets. With two Dial ups, a fax machine, Sky+ and more
extension sockets, I installed an extender some time ago to allow a larger
"wren" maximum than before.

Will this "extender" be affected in any way by the arrival of ADSL. My
proposal is simply to fit Micro-filters to every extension point and hope
that does the trick. Could somebody please confirm that I won't get into
problems with the extender when ADSL arrives next week.

TIA

Paul

Old February 12th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

P H wrote:
I think you might have problems getting the ADSL to work on
extentions after the REN booster. It might block the signal.

Phill

You will also have to filter the REN Booster as well, which could be fun if
it's a hardwired install...

Old February 12th 04, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Thanks I did wonder lol! My extender is mains powered and the
"extra"sockets are wired direct from it. I'm not sure why Analogue and ADSL
signals won't be passed through - maybe someone could explain things for me
please in a little more detail?

However my ADSL modem is incorporated within my Router which will be plugged
into a micro-filter which in turn will be plugged into the "Main" BT
incoming line extension socket. The only purpose for all my other extension
points will be to access analogue signals and each will have a micro-filter.

If after this explantion, if I'm still going to have problems, what will
they be and what are my alternatives?

TAIA

Paul

This footnote confirms that this email message
has been swept by Norton AntiVirus for the
presence of computer viruses.

This computer is protected
by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

Old February 12th 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Paul wrote:
Thanks I did wonder lol! My extender is mains powered and the
"extra"sockets are wired direct from it. I'm not sure why Analogue
and ADSL signals won't be passed through - maybe someone could
explain things for me please in a little more detail?

It's because the electronics won't be complatable with the signals & will
cause you problems (varuious components react differently to different types
of signals). If you fitted a DSL filter between your master socket & your
ren booster you shouldn't have any problems. Probably the best way would be
to get a faceplate filter for the master & then wiring from the IDCs (on the
back of the faceplate) to the REN booster. That way you wouldn't need to
filter any of the other sockets...