More on my Line test saga

Old February 12th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Default More on my Line test saga

FOllowing the visit I had from the engineer I went online last night and
placed an order with BT at around 10:30pm last night.

Out of curiousity I phoned the broadband 0800 no at around 11am this
morning.
Imagine the surprise when they told me they had already carried out a line
test which showed a negative result.

I am a tad doubtful that even the most efficient corporation in the world
could arrange a line test that quickly.

Argued a bit with the person on the other end of the phone who did the usual
reading of answers from a computer screen which told me nothing. They said
tehy would get a supervisor to phone me back.

The supervisor did so and stated categorically that a physical test had been
done on the line which had only been connected yesterday morning. I told her
I doubted it very much and asked if there was a complaint dept.

I was given a number and the person there said it would be nigh on
impossible for a proper line test to have been carried out so quickly and
that they were probably just using the results of the previous test. SHe
said she would request a manual line test and arrange to have the results
sent to me although I am doubtful of this.

The supervisor I spoke to said if I can prove that someone in the street has
broadband then I would be able to fight them on it. Having just moved in I
dont particularly want to go around harassing all the neighbours to give BT
info they already have. They will know whether anyone in my street has ADSL
anyway but the person refused to discuss this issue.

Other than writing to my MP/the press/MD of BT does anyone have any ideas on
how to bypass these gatekeepers and get to speak to someone who knows what
they are talking about rather than someone with pre prepared answers on a
screen

Thanks

Old February 12th 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SOGGY

If you can supply the actual names of the people who you spoke to I would
write a complaint letter (recorded delivery) and threaten to take it further
with Oftel.

I had a problem with my line and the next thing I knew 3 days later there
was an engineer at my door who charged me 50 for a 2 minute job. I refused
to pay as I was not notified and supplied names of people who said I would
be notified if a cost would be involved. In the end BT backed down.

Don't give them an INCH!
--

With regards
Paul M. Sargent

Messenger:
Website:
www.xsoggyx.co.uk
Site Stats: http://www.nedstatbasic.net/s?tab=1&link=1&id=2739223

Looking for that special gift?
http://www.xsoggyx.co.uk/PGI.htm

****ALL E-MAILS ARE VIRUS CHECKED WITH NORTON 2003****

E-Bay listings
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....sort=3&rows=25

Old February 12th 04, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

I was too busy trying not to lose my rag t owrite names down but I could
hear them typing away as we spoke so the record s of the conversation will
be there.
I have also written to the MD of BT although I doubt that will help.
Perhaps OFTEL will be worth a go.
If I cant get ADSL I'll happily accept it but what I dont want to accept is
being bul****ted about a line test that I know they havent done

Old February 12th 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

I now have confirmation from someone who lives further from the exchange
than I but whose line goes into the same box in the village that mine does,
has broadband

How should I now tackle BT

Old February 13th 04, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slugsie

"Scott" wrote in message

The supervisor I spoke to said if I can prove that someone in the street

has
broadband then I would be able to fight them on it. Having just moved in I
dont particularly want to go around harassing all the neighbours to give

BT
info they already have. They will know whether anyone in my street has

ADSL
anyway but the person refused to discuss this issue.

Presumably, it's BT Yahoo (or BT Broadband) who you have been calling. They
will only have access to a list of people who have broadband provided
through BT Yahoo (or BT Broadband as the case may be). They will NOT have
access to a list of people that may have access through the likes of
Pipex/Plusnet/Zen etc.

I would also recommend that you use another ISP. BTs reputation aint that
good. If you give another ISP a call, explain the situation to them, and ask
them to request a manual install then hopefully everything should go a bit
smoother.

--
/Slugsie

Old February 14th 04, 02:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Decal

I've been in your shoes m8 and still aint got BB. I went to ofte,,,bag of
****e and wrote to the MD. I was told by the md's asswiper to continually
complain about my line to faults or ask for a simultanious
provision.....**** them

Old February 14th 04, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

They will know whether anyone in my street has ADSL anyway but the person
refused to discuss this issue.

Correct, but....

Would you want BT to hand out your details to any one ? No prob not! Do as
you were asked and knock on doors, people will tell you if they don't mind
you knowing, but BT "can't" tell you.

Phill

Old February 14th 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:16:07 -0000, "Scott"
wrote:

FOllowing the visit I had from the engineer I went online last night and
placed an order with BT at around 10:30pm last night.

Out of curiousity I phoned the broadband 0800 no at around 11am this
morning.
Imagine the surprise when they told me they had already carried out a line
test which showed a negative result.

I am a tad doubtful that even the most efficient corporation in the world
could arrange a line test that quickly.

I would have been VERY surprised if they had NOT done so.

Argued a bit with the person on the other end of the phone who did the usual
reading of answers from a computer screen which told me nothing. They said
tehy would get a supervisor to phone me back.

The supervisor did so and stated categorically that a physical test had been
done on the line which had only been connected yesterday morning. I told her
I doubted it very much and asked if there was a complaint dept.

Again, I would have been surprised if it had NOT been done. I would
imagine that on BB enabled exchanges, the test is now done as part of
the commissioning process on new lines. Particularly if they have been
told you want it for BB.

I was given a number and the person there said it would be nigh on
impossible for a proper line test to have been carried out so quickly and
that they were probably just using the results of the previous test.

That person was almost certainly wrong. Actually they were absolutely
certainly wrong, since the test only takes a few minutes.

The supervisor I spoke to said if I can prove that someone in the street has
broadband then I would be able to fight them on it. Having just moved in I
dont particularly want to go around harassing all the neighbours to give BT
info they already have. They will know whether anyone in my street has ADSL
anyway but the person refused to discuss this issue.

Of course they will know.

They also know that they would be breaking the law if they did tell
you.

You don't want to hassle the neighbours, but you want BT to give you
private information about them?

Other than writing to my MP/the press/MD of BT does anyone have any ideas on
how to bypass these gatekeepers and get to speak to someone who knows what
they are talking about rather than someone with pre prepared answers on a
screen

I've failed three line tests (and with the latest update to the
availability checker, it won't even let me apply any more :-(

But each time, it was quite easy to speak to somebody who could see
the actual results, and tell me what they were (The first time, I had
a line loss of 60.1 Db when the limit was then 55, the most recent
time, it was the capacitance reading that was too high )

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Lesser artists borrow. Great artists steal.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old February 15th 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

I'm not suggesting BT tell me who has broadband only whether anyone actually
has it.
They don't need to tell me MR. Smith at no.14 has it. Only that yes there
are a number of people in your street with ADSL provided.
I can't see that that would be breaking the data protection act in any way.

I asked the person on the other end to tell me what the actual test results
were and they refused, telling me that info was private and confidential to
BT Wholesale.

I have now been told by the engineer what route the lines take to the
exchange and have confirmation from someone who lives further away from the
exchange that they have ADSL no problem so distance can't be the issue!!