When does line get tested?

Old February 12th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

Default When does line get tested?

Sorry if this is a daft question.
My exchange gets enabled on 28th April. Do BT have to wait until the
exchange has been enabled before they can do a line test?

I just want to know if it is worthwhile ordering my broadband just now or
wait until nearer the time.

cheers

Steven.

Old February 12th 04, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Steven

From my experience BT wont test the line at all
They will get some info from a computer and tell you yes or no based on that
regardless of whether others in the street have adsl or not

Old February 13th 04, 07:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

Sorry if this is a daft question.
My exchange gets enabled on 28th April. Do BT have to wait until the
exchange has been enabled before they can do a line test?

I just want to know if it is worthwhile ordering my broadband just now or
wait until nearer the time.

"Scott" wrote in message
news
Steven

From my experience BT wont test the line at all
They will get some info from a computer and tell you yes or no based on

that
regardless of whether others in the street have adsl or not

Hi Scott,

yes I read your saga. Diabolical service that.
As for checking if anyone in my street has it. That is the whole point, as I
said in my original post, the exchange isn't enabled so nobody in my street
will have it!

Incidentally where in Glasgow are you that wasn't cabled?

Steven.

Old February 13th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

New estate in Cambuslang, houses here about 6 years
Apparently back then when new estates were built BT had some kind of
monopoly or something in place that meant cable outfits were not allowed to
lay cables while the building work was going on

Hopefullly things will go a bit smoother for you
I'm not giving up yet!
"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a daft question.
My exchange gets enabled on 28th April. Do BT have to wait until the
exchange has been enabled before they can do a line test?

I just want to know if it is worthwhile ordering my broadband just now

or
wait until nearer the time.

"Scott" wrote in message
news
Steven

From my experience BT wont test the line at all

Old February 13th 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 13/2/04 6:08 pm, in article
, "Scott"
wrote:

New estate in Cambuslang, houses here about 6 years
Apparently back then when new estates were built BT had some kind of
monopoly or something in place that meant cable outfits were not allowed to
lay cables while the building work was going on

Hopefullly things will go a bit smoother for you
I'm not giving up yet!

Not true ....

BT have the universal service obligation and MUST put a cable to all new
houses. They do that as the sites are finished, not during the major
construction.

Cable operators can do as they wish within their own franchise area, but 6
years ago, both ntl: and Telewest were as good as bust and were not really
building at all. I suspect the they had no interest in doing it .....

So you have it almost right apart from the important bits

Old February 13th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Graham

Not sure about this or about the exact timing of this estate being built.
What I do know is that when these houses were built ntl were still putting
cables in all over the place in Glasgow but for some reason tended not to
cable new estates either through choice or compulsion.

After the estate was built there was no chance because the cowboys that ntl
use for digging up the roads wouldnt be capable of replacing all the
monoblocking that these new estates have.

The monoblocked speedbumps in the streets wouldnt look too clever with big
bits of uneven tarmac running through them :-)
"Graham in Melton" wrote in message
On 13/2/04 6:08 pm, in article
, "Scott"

Old February 14th 04, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 13/2/04 9:49 pm, in article
, "Scott"
wrote:

Graham

Not sure about this or about the exact timing of this estate being built.
What I do know is that when these houses were built ntl were still putting
cables in all over the place in Glasgow but for some reason tended not to
cable new estates either through choice or compulsion.

I seem to recall this being suggested to ntl some years ago, but they
declined to fit new homes with cable. The decision I think, was based around
their primary revenue driver being cable TV and the takeup was so low at the
time, that they wished to only cable to order

After the estate was built there was no chance because the cowboys that ntl
use for digging up the roads wouldnt be capable of replacing all the
monoblocking that these new estates have.

They still use the same people today ....

The monoblocked speedbumps in the streets wouldnt look too clever with big
bits of uneven tarmac running through them :-)

There are some good examples of that in Coventry when I worked I think ....

Old February 14th 04, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Graham in Melton wrote:
On 13/2/04 9:49 pm, in article
, "Scott"
wrote:

Graham

Not sure about this or about the exact timing of this estate being
built. What I do know is that when these houses were built ntl
were still putting cables in all over the place in Glasgow but for
some reason tended not to cable new estates either through choice
or compulsion.

I seem to recall this being suggested to ntl some years ago, but
they declined to fit new homes with cable. The decision I think,
was based around their primary revenue driver being cable TV and
the takeup was so low at the time, that they wished to only cable
to order

After the estate was built there was no chance because the cowboys
that ntl use for digging up the roads wouldnt be capable of
replacing all the monoblocking that these new estates have.

They still use the same people today ....

They deffinitely don't around the East Midlands as they were so late (in
fact defaulted) on so many payments that the company was made bankrupt, with
the employees owed quite some sums of money. It was a fairly large, local,
controversy at the time