DHCP

Old February 13th 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default DHCP

I carried out some upgrades on a friend's computer recently when at
the time his connection to the Internet was a dial up connection
whereas mine was via Broadband.

With a large download necessary off the Internet, I simply changed the
IE setting to "never dial a connection" and connected the PC to my LAN
where my router is a Draytek 2600. An 'ipconfig /all' query confirmed
that a IP address had been allocated of. i.e. 192.16.1.18 With the
download safely made the IE setting was restored to the dial up status
previously present.

That activity was a couple of months back and yesterday my friend was
Broadband connected via a Draytek 2600. Using the default settings out
of the box [apart from making the necessary connection activities] I
was surprised to see from an 'ipconfig /all' that the IP address was
still 192.168.1.18 instead of the expected 192.168.1.10

A reboot of the PC and the Draytek unit still reported the PC having
an IP address of 192.168.1.18 Never mind it all worked, so if it
ain't broken, there's no need to mend it.

Today the Broadband connection does not work and I suspect that we
have a stale session as the connection time and inactivity time are
the same . Any solutions to this problem that anyone can offer
please? Rebooting the PC and the Draytek does nothing, even if the
power down time of both is for 30 minutes or more.

The PC operating system is Xp Home should anyone wish to know.

With many thanks
David Bradley
Old February 13th 04, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Liddicott

"David Bradley" wrote in message
[...]

IIRC win XP allows you to set an additional IP address for each adaptor, so
you can leave it on DHCP as well as assign a fixed address for when DHCP
dont work.

Maybe you have this set up and if DHCP isn't working you will be seeing the
default fixed address

Sam

Old February 13th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Crowley

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:19:11 +0000, David Bradley
wrote:

[...]

I'm a bit rusty but if I remember my Microsoft Networking Fundamentals
from Windows NT4 ....

Any win32 client on bootup sends a request for a DHCP address on every
bootup and at regular intervals too regardless of what the lease time
is set on the DCHP server as; this lease time is only the maximum
length of time before the client HAS to request a new address.

As part of this request the client basically sends a message saying "I
had this address, can I still keep it?" If no other device has taken
this address in the mean time then the DHCP server will authorise the
client to continue using it's old address rather than issuing the next
sequential free one, hence your client got the .18 address that it
previously had even through it wasn't the first free address.

Feel free to contradict, as I say it's been a while since I looked at
the actual process.

tommy