LinkSys WAG54G "Access Restrictions" problems

Old February 13th 04, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Oliver

Default LinkSys WAG54G "Access Restrictions" problems

Has anyone got experience of using the "Access Restriction" feature of
the LinkSys WAG54G Wireless ADSL router/firewall?

The "Access Restriction" feature sometimes appears to work, and other
times not. That it, sometimes the rules apply, other times they don't

I am using the firmware 1.01.5 (Jan 13 2004)

I have guessed that it applies the rules starting from number 1, and
keeps going until it finds one that matches, then it stops - as I say,
only a guess as none of the user manuals detail any of this at all!!

I have two main computers - "ollie" and "boys" - each rule uses the
MAC address to identify each computer.

I have a general rule which disables access to "ollie" and "boys"
between 7am until 6pm (to stop my children gaining access to the
internet while I am not around). I also have another rule which
disables access to "ollie" and "boys" between 7:15pm and 8pm
(children's bed time - no excuses from them!!)

Generally, the "restricted" computers are gaining access when they
should not - i.e. the 7:15pm to 8pm rule does not work.

I have emailed LinkSys UK support, but have not had a reply from them
for nearly two weeks - I am not impressed.

I guess if you want to use the Access Restrictions for anything other
than basic setup, it currently does not work in firmware 1.01.5.