Best prog for transferring files accross network ?

Old February 13th 04, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Best prog for transferring files accross network ?

Having at last got my ad-hoc network sorted how do I go about transfering
files ? Also should I be able to 'view workgroup computers' ? This is not
showing the laptop.

I've tried Laplink 11.5 but it does'bt see any files etc from the laptop via
the network, how do I connect with this programme ?

I know you can share any folder with right clicking on sharing and security
but then how does the main pc access this folder ?

Old February 13th 04, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Dave writes
Having at last got my ad-hoc network sorted how do I go about transfering
files ? Also should I be able to 'view workgroup computers' ? This is not
showing the laptop.

I've tried Laplink 11.5 but it does'bt see any files etc from the laptop via
the network, how do I connect with this programme ?

I know you can share any folder with right clicking on sharing and security
but then how does the main pc access this folder ?

Share the drives.
Right click on the start button explore
My network places

Copy and paste!
followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old February 13th 04, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:31:10 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

Having at last got my ad-hoc network sorted how do I go about transfering
files ? Also should I be able to 'view workgroup computers' ? This is not
showing the laptop.

I've tried Laplink 11.5 but it does'bt see any files etc from the laptop via
the network, how do I connect with this programme ?

I know you can share any folder with right clicking on sharing and security
but then how does the main pc access this folder ?

Your laptop should show if you have set your firewall permissions
correctly and are sharing the drives, as you describe. You then assign
the networked drives to a drive letter on the other system - you
"map"the drives. For example, on my laptop, Drive I: is my desktop's
Drive D: .

To do this, you need to "Map a Network Drive" - do this in Windows
Explorer, Tools.

As long as the computers can see each other, and the drives are down
as being shared, it's relatively straightforward. You can then use
Explorer as usual to move files between the virtual "drives".

As for LapLink: dunno about using it over a network - not sure there
would be much point. I've also always found it excruciatingly slow.
Old February 14th 04, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"King Queen" wrote in message
[...]

Are you saying I need to share the whole of my drive c on the desktop and
the whole of C on the laptop ? So in mapping drive on the laptop I select
say 'I' for drive but what do I put in folder as I can't access mshome for
some reason ?

Old February 14th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Dave wrote:

Are you saying I need to share the whole of my drive c on the desktop and
the whole of C on the laptop ? So in mapping drive on the laptop I select

You can share a lower level folder if you prefer to not make the whole
drive visible.

say 'I' for drive but what do I put in folder as I can't access mshome for
some reason ?

If you can't browse in My Network Places / Network Neighbourhood
(depending on which versions of windows you are using) you may need to
have the "guest" access enabled on each computer (WinNT/2K/XP).

Failing that try the "find computer" option and type in the name of the
other PC.

You could also try a command line like:-

net use Z: \\OtherPCsName\ShareName

to mount the share directly on drive Z:

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 14th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:50:19 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

Are you saying I need to share the whole of my drive c on the desktop and
the whole of C on the laptop ? So in mapping drive on the laptop I select
say 'I' for drive but what do I put in folder as I can't access mshome for
some reason ?

No sorry I should have made it clear, you can also right-click on a
folder and share it, then map a drive to that folder.

Cheers