whats the best way to test an adsl connection for packetloss

Old February 13th 04, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
|MorpheousUk|

Default whats the best way to test an adsl connection for packetloss

Hi all

Currently having a few problems with my ADSL connection mainly slower than
usual speeds, I have a 2 meg connection with AAISP and when I use the BT
Wholesale page located at http://speedtest.btcentralplus.com and dowload the
15 meg test file I receive it at

162KB/Sec and it completes in 1 Minute 34 seconds (I used to get over
230KB/Sec)

However on my other 2 meg connection with Plusnet I get the following result

232KB/Sec and it completes in 1 Minute 06 seconds

Also various other tests like the speedtest at
http://adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp show the following

AAISP

Downstream 1334 Kbps (166.8 KB/sec) 1440 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream 241 Kbps (30.1 KB/sec) 260 Kbps (inc. overheads)

PLUSNET

Downstream 1833 Kbps (229.1 KB/sec)1979 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec) 61 Kbps (inc. overheads)

It just doesn't make sence as both connections are from the same premises to
the same exchange how can I test my connection so I can find where the
problem lies.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

James

Old February 13th 04, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NAZGUL

"|MorpheousUk|" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Its likely that this is a contention issue at AAISP, so I would if you can
run the tests at night when not so many people are on the net and see if
there is a big improvement.

Old February 13th 04, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
|MorpheousUk|

"NAZGUL" wrote in message

[...]

Hi NAZGUL thanks for your reply I have tested the connection at 10am -
12pm - 2pm - 4pm - 6pm - 8pm - 10pm - 12am - 2am - 4am over the last 24hrs
and it as made no difference at all but the strange thing is I cannot seem
to find any packetloss just slow downloads its almost as if my connection is
capped or something.

Cheers James

Old February 13th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NAZGUL

"NAZGUL" wrote in message

[...]

----------------------------------
Do you have any local isp web space? if so you can try and download from
that, and if it is still slow then its the isp thats at fault and you can go
from there.

Dave

Old February 14th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian G

|MorpheousUk| wrote:

Hi all

Currently having a few problems with my ADSL connection mainly slower than
usual speeds, I have a 2 meg connection with AAISP and when I use the BT
Wholesale page located at http://speedtest.btcentralplus.com and dowload
the 15 meg test file I receive it at

162KB/Sec and it completes in 1 Minute 34 seconds (I used to get over
230KB/Sec)

However on my other 2 meg connection with Plusnet I get the following
result

232KB/Sec and it completes in 1 Minute 06 seconds

Also various other tests like the speedtest at
http://adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp show the following

AAISP

Downstream 1334 Kbps (166.8 KB/sec) 1440 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream 241 Kbps (30.1 KB/sec) 260 Kbps (inc. overheads)

PLUSNET

Downstream 1833 Kbps (229.1 KB/sec)1979 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec) 61 Kbps (inc. overheads)

It just doesn't make sence as both connections are from the same premises
to the same exchange how can I test my connection so I can find where the
problem lies.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

James

Try upstream bandwidth of the isp's .

The only way to test this is to create 2 websites one per isp with the same
large file ,15MB ish min then download using the same computer and software
and hardware . Only that way can you achieve a valid test even then their
servers/internal network would influence the result .

The results will tell that plusnet downloads faster from the Internet than
AAISP at the moment ,what will you do with the 28 seconds saved I wonder.
--
Outgoings certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9
Old February 14th 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Lewis

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:34:14 -0000, "|MorpheousUk|"
wrote:

Hi all

Currently having a few problems with my ADSL connection mainly slower than
usual speeds, I have a 2 meg connection with AAISP and when I use the BT
Wholesale page located at http://speedtest.btcentralplus.com and dowload the
15 meg test file I receive it at

you could try asking AAISP - I believe they usually are quite helpful.

--
TonyL