freeserve 150bps?

Old February 13th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
adrian bowyer

Default freeserve 150bps?

Hi,
Just cancelled FS anytime for the tiscali 150bps midband or whatever there
calling it, i said its a pity FS couldnt offer the same service.
I was told by the nice lady at the other end of my phone Freeserve may be
starting up its own 150bps service sometime (she hinted about a year) and
that i could come back
Going by the inevitable Q and A section on cancelling FS it seems a few
customers have jumped ship for a modest speed hike and the freed up
phoneline.
ade

Old February 13th 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jsp21c

Next time you want to move ISP, just downgrade your account to pay as you
go, which will leave your email intact and make it easier to return to that
ISP should you want to in the future. There seems to be a lot of hassle when
trying to close accounts with any ISP, but downgrading takes a couple of
clicks & you're not going to get a bill if you don't use their dailup.

I used to be with Tiscali on Dailup 56k but went to BT when ADSL became
available. My Tiscali email still works even though I haven't connected via
Tiscali since last August. Checking the pop server regularly seems to keep
the email address alive.
Old February 14th 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

jsp21c wrote:
Next time you want to move ISP, just downgrade your account to pay as
you go, which will leave your email intact and make it easier to
return to that ISP should you want to in the future. There seems to
be a lot of hassle when trying to close accounts with any ISP, but
downgrading takes a couple of clicks & you're not going to get a bill
if you don't use their dailup.

I used to be with Tiscali on Dailup 56k but went to BT when ADSL
became available. My Tiscali email still works even though I haven't
connected via Tiscali since last August. Checking the pop server
regularly seems to keep the email address alive.

I did precisely this when I downgraded my Freeserve account to pay as you go
and transferred to Pipex ADSL. My freeserve e-mail still works, but I have
to actually connect to Freeserve dial up at least once every 90 days (?) or
else it is disabled. All I have to do is dial up until I have logged in and
then immediately disconnect. No need to access pop server via Freeserve
dial up.

I think you can actually visit their web site and reactivate an account
within a period (6 months?) without actually dialing up.