Contacting BT directly for status?

Old February 14th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rog

Default Contacting BT directly for status?

Hi,
Is it possible to contact BT directly to find out my activation/order
status rather than going through my ISP? I should have been activated a
week ago based on the date I was given but I still have no ADSL and I am
getting the impression I am being jerked around. I have been told there are
problems at the exchange (I suspect that the problem is that it's too far
from my house!). I have other options available to receive broadband where
I live and if I'm on a hiding to nothing with ADSL I would rather know so
that I can get things moving with another order, plus my existing dial-up
account with the ISP is up for renewal in a couple of days and I don't want
to pay another month if I can help it.
Rog.
Old February 14th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:51:17 +0000, Rog wrote:

Hi,
Is it possible to contact BT directly to find out my activation/order
status rather than going through my ISP? I should have been activated a
week ago based on the date I was given but I still have no ADSL and I am
getting the impression I am being jerked around. I have been told there are
problems at the exchange (I suspect that the problem is that it's too far
from my house!). I have other options available to receive broadband where
I live and if I'm on a hiding to nothing with ADSL I would rather know so
that I can get things moving with another order, plus my existing dial-up
account with the ISP is up for renewal in a couple of days and I don't want
to pay another month if I can help it.
Rog.

Only if BT is your isp. Your contract is with your ISP and this is why
all contact has to be through them.
Old February 14th 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert

"Jasper" wrote in message

[...]

In the early days of ADSL - when lead times were months and months - we
ordered a Demon 2Mbit service. We used to check the status of the
activation/installation etc with BT's Broadband Operations Unit (BOU). Can't
remember the details now and one probably can't do it anymore anyway...

Old February 14th 04, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
·.¸¸.·´¯`Wango´¯`·.¸¸.·

"Rupert" wrote in message
-snip-
In the early days of ADSL - when lead times were months and months - we
ordered a Demon 2Mbit service. We used to check the status of the
activation/installation etc with BT's Broadband Operations Unit (BOU).

Can't
remember the details now and one probably can't do it anymore anyway...

You can't call direct into the BOU and they will refer you back to your ISP
if you get that far anyway.

Wango

Old February 14th 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 14/2/04 9:51 am, in article , "Rog"
wrote:

Hi,
Is it possible to contact BT directly to find out my activation/order
status rather than going through my ISP?

No more effective than ordering something from Comet and then wanting to ask
the manufacturer about your particular order

I should have been activated a
week ago based on the date I was given but I still have no ADSL and I am
getting the impression I am being jerked around. I have been told there are
problems at the exchange (I suspect that the problem is that it's too far
from my house!).

So you think BT, who are dealing with 45,000 connections a week are going to
give you more attention, than one of their ISP customers who places say,
5,000 orders a week ?

I have other options available to receive broadband where
I live and if I'm on a hiding to nothing with ADSL I would rather know so
that I can get things moving with another order, plus my existing dial-up
account with the ISP is up for renewal in a couple of days and I don't want
to pay another month if I can help it.

C'est la vie

Which ISP are you dealing with and which exchange are you on ?

Old February 14th 04, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Rog wrote:
Hi,
Is it possible to contact BT directly to find out my
activation/order status rather than going through my ISP?

No you are your ISP's customer, not BT's....

I should
have been activated a week ago based on the date I was given but I
still have no ADSL and I am getting the impression I am being
jerked around. I have been told there are problems at the exchange
(I suspect that the problem is that it's too far from my house!). I
have other options available to receive broadband where I live and
if I'm on a hiding to nothing with ADSL I would rather know so that
I can get things moving with another order, plus my existing
dial-up account with the ISP is up for renewal in a couple of days
and I don't want to pay another month if I can help it.

What are you paying for if you aren't getting the service??? If your
service isn't working & has never worked stop your payments & tell them that
seeing they are in breach of contract (i.e not supplying a usable service)
you will not pay until it's sorted, but......If it's you who's made the
problem (filters not in the correct place etc) then be prepared to have egg
on your face & having to pay for the priviledge.

I've got to be honest & say that the majority of self install faults I have
atteneded over the last few years have been caused by the end user & have
not been down to BT or the ISP...

Old February 15th 04, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rog

"Kráftéé" wrote in
news

What are you paying for if you aren't getting the service??? If your
service isn't working & has never worked stop your payments & tell
them that seeing they are in breach of contract (i.e not supplying a
usable service) you will not pay until it's sorted, but......If it's
you who's made the problem (filters not in the correct place etc) then
be prepared to have egg on your face & having to pay for the
priviledge.

I'm not paying for the ADSL yet, I have an existing account with the ISP
(News only, but it includes local rate dial up access) that I am upgrading
to the ADSL package. They wont start billing me for the ADSL until (or if)
they can supply it to me.

I've got to be honest & say that the majority of self install faults I
have atteneded over the last few years have been caused by the end
user & have not been down to BT or the ISP...

I imagine they have, but in this case I know for a fact that my line has
not yet been enabled as my ISP has confirmed this. That aside I am fairly
confident of my setup as I had an ADSL account with a different ISP at my
old address using exactly the same gear and it's not exactly rocket
science to set up.
Rog.
Old February 16th 04, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R W

Jasper wrote:
[...]

You might be able to find out some information at this URL

https://www.cs-server1.bt.com/hhway-...NUM=...&TELNUM

Replace CUSNUM with your BT customer number and replace TELNUM with your
phone number....

Old February 16th 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"R W" wrote in message
You might be able to find out some information at this URL

https://www.cs-server1.bt.com/hhway-...NUM=...&TELNUM

Replace CUSNUM with your BT customer number and replace TELNUM with your
phone number....

Minor but critical correction.

The URL is actually
https://www.cs-server1.bt.com/hhway-...UM=...&TELNUM=...

and it is necessary to replace the 2 sets of "...." with your details, not
the CUSNUM/TELNUM bit.

Regards
Sunil