Prioritisation of voice on adsl?

Old February 14th 04, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
VoIP Guy

Default Prioritisation of voice on adsl?

I use telappliant's voiptalk service for making voip calls. It is a really
good service and the voice quality of calls is absolutely unbelievable, but
what i would really like is a way to prioritise voip traffic on my adsl
router so that i don't get any bandwidth issues when making calls.

Is there a router which can do this?

Andy

Old February 14th 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:46:08 -0000, "VoIP Guy" wrote:

I use telappliant's voiptalk service for making voip calls. It is a really
good service and the voice quality of calls is absolutely unbelievable, but
what i would really like is a way to prioritise voip traffic on my adsl
router so that i don't get any bandwidth issues when making calls.

Is there a router which can do this?

There are, but they are not likely to be consumer priced.

If you have a spare PC, this

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/queueing.html

will do it for free.

greg

--
You do a lot less thundering in the pulpit against the Harlot
after she marches right down the aisle and kicks you in the nuts.
Old February 14th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Hunter

VoIP Guy wrote:
I use telappliant's voiptalk service for making voip calls. It is a really
good service and the voice quality of calls is absolutely unbelievable, but
what i would really like is a way to prioritise voip traffic on my adsl
router so that i don't get any bandwidth issues when making calls.

Is there a router which can do this?

Why not just use a normal telephone and 18866.com, cheaper rates than
those shown on telappliant's web site?

--

Ian Hunter.
Old February 14th 04, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 14/2/04 9:46 am, in article
, "VoIP Guy"
wrote:

I use telappliant's voiptalk service for making voip calls. It is a really
good service and the voice quality of calls is absolutely unbelievable, but
what i would really like is a way to prioritise voip traffic on my adsl
router so that i don't get any bandwidth issues when making calls.

Is there a router which can do this?

Even if there is, its irrelevant. The network backbones don't recognise
different priorities of data so your calls are just lucky to be on an
uncongested link. If it was congested you'd notice fairly quickly !

Old February 14th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"VoIP Guy" wrote in message
I use telappliant's voiptalk service for making voip calls. It is a really
good service and the voice quality of calls is absolutely unbelievable,

but
what i would really like is a way to prioritise voip traffic on my adsl
router so that i don't get any bandwidth issues when making calls.

Is there a router which can do this?

Andy

Have a look at NetLimiter from http://www.netlimiter.com/

Martin.