Onspeed

Old February 14th 04, 05:47 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,alt.internet.providers.uk.free,uk.telecom.broadband
Lou Rolls

Default Onspeed

My little bro has asked in the compression package Onspeed is any good. He
can't get broadband or isdn. I haven't a clue. Any thoughts folks???

Old February 14th 04, 05:57 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,alt.internet.providers.uk.free,uk.telecom.broadband
fred bloggs

"Lou Rolls" wrote in message
My little bro has asked in the compression package Onspeed is any good. He
can't get broadband or isdn. I haven't a clue. Any thoughts folks???

Hi there

Yes I use Onspeed over broadband and the difference it makes depends on what
you are downloading. What it basically does is connect you to one of their
servers which appears to act like a proxy server. The link between your
machine and theirs is then compressed. The amount of compression, and hence
the apparent increase in speed, is dependant on the data stream. At the
moment, it is JPGs, text and PDF. I understand that they are working on
other data streams.

I think its quite good and should make a difference to web page loading -
Cost about 25 a year

Cheers, Mike

Old February 14th 04, 06:50 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,alt.internet.providers.uk.free,uk.telecom.broadband
Bert

I used it for 3 weeks and asked my money back (wasn't a problem). Over 50%
of my work involves downloading and opening pdf files and this did not work
at all. Online banking wasn't possible anymore. I had to uninstal onspeed.
My advice try the trail version first and see if it is any benefit for you.

Bert.

Old February 14th 04, 06:59 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,alt.internet.providers.uk.free,uk.telecom.broadband

If the technique is performed like a proxy server, extra care on different application support should be noticed.
Since some proxy servers will not support E-banking such secure connection.
Old February 14th 04, 07:54 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,alt.internet.providers.uk.free,uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:47:44 -0000, "Lou Rolls"
wrote:

My little bro has asked in the compression package Onspeed is any good. He
can't get broadband or isdn. I haven't a clue. Any thoughts folks???

If you want to speed up your browsing, stick a transparent webcache on the
network. My stats here show about 50-60% of traffic being cached locally.

greg

--
You do a lot less thundering in the pulpit against the Harlot
after she marches right down the aisle and kicks you in the nuts.

Old February 14th 04, 08:49 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,alt.internet.providers.uk.free,uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:19:26 -0000, "Lou Rolls"
wrote:

How do I do that on my one desktop at home please Greg?

On your desktop, its going to get in the way of your own browser cache TBH.

greg

Old February 15th 04, 04:25 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,alt.internet.providers.uk.free,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

wrote:

How do I do that on my one desktop at home please Greg?

On your desktop, its going to get in the way of your own browser cache TBH.

I believe wwwoffled (http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/) has a windows
version.
This is a webcache, that is quite nice.
I'm using it on linux, in combination with htdig, to index the pages
so that you can do nice things like searching all the pages you've
ever viewed.