ADSL modems

Old February 14th 04, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default ADSL modems

"J.Neuhoff" wrote in message
What are the best and cheapest ADSL modems with ethernet port? (no
router/firewall needed) Are there any good online sites in the UK where I
can purchase one?

The cheapest Ethernet router I know of is the ASR-8000 which is 31
including shipping (QuickFind code: 57418 on www.ebuyer.com)

It only has 1 ethernet port - there is a slightly more expensive version if
you want 4 ports

Regards
Sunil

Old February 14th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J.Neuhoff

What are the best and cheapest ADSL modems with ethernet port? (no
router/firewall needed) Are there any good online sites in the UK where I
can purchase one?

I am planning to plug it into a dual-WAN router as an additional ADSL line.

J.Neuhoff

Old February 14th 04, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Sunil Sood
writes
What are the best and cheapest ADSL modems with ethernet port? (no
router/firewall needed) Are there any good online sites in the UK where I
can purchase one?

The cheapest Ethernet router I know of is the ASR-8000 which is 31
including shipping (QuickFind code: 57418 on www.ebuyer.com)

Just to add that I'm using one as I write (its feeding a netgear router)
and have found no reason as yet not to recommend it.

My only comment is that ebuyer do seem to take a long time to deliver
using the cheapest service! It was in stock, ordered it, the automated
scheduler told me it would be delivered on a particular date - which it
was - but this was nearly a week later ?!?
Guess they are pretty busy packing ADSL modems........

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old February 14th 04, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Gareth Jones" wrote in message
My only comment is that ebuyer do seem to take a long time to deliver
using the cheapest service! It was in stock, ordered it, the automated
scheduler told me it would be delivered on a particular date - which it
was - but this was nearly a week later ?!?

That seems to be a ebuyer oddity.. they always seem to send their goods by
next day courier but if you choose 3 or 5 day shipping they "sit" on your
order for 2 or 4 days respectively.

Obviously, this allows them to prioritise their next day deliveries etc but
its like they do it deliberately, unlike say Dabs who will quote upto 3 days
and then do their utmost to send it ASAP.

It can't save Ebuyer money as their are still using a next day courier
rather than a cheaper delivery option so its just irritating - though are
the often the cheapest, so its just a case of choosing your supplier and
putting up with it

Regards
Sunil

Old February 15th 04, 04:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Sunil Sood wrote:

"Gareth Jones" wrote in message
My only comment is that ebuyer do seem to take a long time to deliver
using the cheapest service! It was in stock, ordered it, the automated
scheduler told me it would be delivered on a particular date - which it
was - but this was nearly a week later ?!?

That seems to be a ebuyer oddity.. they always seem to send their goods by
next day courier but if you choose 3 or 5 day shipping they "sit" on your
order for 2 or 4 days respectively.

Snip
It can't save Ebuyer money as their are still using a next day courier
rather than a cheaper delivery option so its just irritating - though are
the often the cheapest, so its just a case of choosing your supplier and
putting up with it

It can save money.
If enough customers opt for this service, then you can adjust the
staffing levels to more closely match demand, rather than tracking
daily peaks quite so closely.

It also adds a little flexibility to ordering.

The most annoying thing I find about ebuyer is that if you order after
wedensday morning(?) then you won't recieve the goods until next monday,
unless you pay for saturday delivery.
Whereas if you buy on monday morning, they'll usually have it to you
on tuesday.

However, as they keep to the delivery times (generally) that you select
at order time, and do give a discount if you don't need the stuff
quickly, it's more an irritant than anything.

Overall, happy with them, 28 orders over 3 years, and a couple of
RMA requests that went well.
Old February 15th 04, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Sunil Sood
writes
[...]

Yup.
While it would be nice to think they are only prioritising their next
day deliveries, it would appear to be a great ploy in making one pay
that extra few quid to avoid them sitting on it ;-)

Old February 16th 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J.Neuhoff

Thank you for the information. I am going to order the ASR-8000 today.

J.Neuhoff

Gareth Jones wrote:

In message , Sunil Sood
writes

Old February 19th 04, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Benedict Addis

Have a look at my detailed reply to the above thread 'New ADSL ETHERNET
Modem Recommends', but essentially the upshot is that there aren't many true
modems that work in the UK.

One such that you may want to consider is the 3COM Dual Link, but if using
it with a router, the router must support PPPoE (almost all now do), and
your exchange / ISP must also support PPPoE (approx 85% do).

It's he
www.itchest.co.uk/3com.aspx

Benedict.
--