What is the difference between ADSL and ADSL2/2+/2++

Old February 15th 04, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Santa

Default What is the difference between ADSL and ADSL2/2+/2++

Does anybody have any idea what is the diff between ADSL and ADSL2/2+/2++?.
Also how can I know which standards are coming?
Old February 15th 04, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Santa" wrote in message
om...
Does anybody have any idea what is the diff between ADSL and

ADSL2/2+/2++?.
Also how can I know which standards are coming?

The difference is that BT are f**ked up and letting us good UK people use
old technology at rip off prices. Many other countries get much 20 times
faster connections for less than what we pay.

Old February 15th 04, 05:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

tHatDudeUK wrote:
"Santa" wrote in message
om...
Does anybody have any idea what is the diff between ADSL and
ADSL2/2+/2++?. Also how can I know which standards are coming?

The difference is that BT are f**ked up and letting us good UK
people use old technology at rip off prices. Many other countries
get much 20 times faster connections for less than what we pay.

More like they (& HULL & Bulldog, remember Bulldog has bought into LLU so
has it's own equipment in certain BT exchanges) have implemented a system
which has the minimum impact on the other users of their network.

But each to their own, I could go on about BT being refused permision to
convert the LL to fibre many years ago & other such things but will
resist,,,

Old February 15th 04, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

PlusNet Support Team said the following:

On 14 Feb 2004 16:40:14 -0800, Santa wrote:

Does anybody have any idea what is the diff between ADSL and
ADSL2/2+/2++?.
Also how can I know which standards are coming?

Hi,

ADSL 2/2+ are different names for what is essentially the same (are
similar product). It works in a similar way to the standard ADSL we are
used to in this country but increases the speed from a maximum potential
download speed of around 8Mbps up to around 20Mbps. It utilises
different frequencies on the line too and should increase the maximum
distance a little too (although possibly only 0.2km).

After that there's VDSL to look forward to which should increase speeds
even further, although when that would arrive your guess is as good as
mine.

To my understanding, the transmission distance of VDSL is much shorter than ADSL. That is, the coverage area should be much less than ADSL, too.

Ricco

--
Firefox, probably the best browser in this world
Old February 15th 04, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:35:32 +0800, [email protected]
wrote:

[...]

Yep, while VDSL can currently support speeds of 52Mbps down and 16Mbps up
the limit is around 1.2km. However, if the telecoms companies place VDSL
Gateways in the junction boxes (in the UK's case the green street
cabinets) and link them to exchange via fibre then for most people the
distance limitations would be overcome.

--
Regards,

Old February 15th 04, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

The difference is that BT are f**ked up and letting us good UK people use
old technology at rip off prices. Many other countries get much 20 times
faster connections for less than what we pay.

I partially agree with that but many other countries have caps or there
geographics allows them to build super fast networks at minimal costs. I
think BT are doing a good job and really what home user needs more than
2mbps?

Old February 15th 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Dan said the following:

The difference is that BT are f**ked up and letting us good UK people use
old technology at rip off prices. Many other countries get much 20 times
faster connections for less than what we pay.

I partially agree with that but many other countries have caps or there
geographics allows them to build super fast networks at minimal costs. I
think BT are doing a good job and really what home user needs more than
2mbps?

I think consumers will never be satisfied. Even in Hong Kong, the broadband monthly fee is of ADSL 3Mb/640kb plan is just something around HKD 170.
Even 6Mb ADSL plan is just around HKD200 with unlimited access. People also blamed against the slow upload speed and expensive fee.

Ricco.

--
Firefox, probably the best browser in this world
Old February 15th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I think consumers will never be satisfied. Even in Hong Kong, the
broadband monthly fee is of ADSL 3Mb/640kb plan is just something
around HKD 170.
Even 6Mb ADSL plan is just around HKD200 with unlimited access.

For those who don`t know, HKD$1.00 is worth around 8p

Old February 15th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Dan" wrote in message
I partially agree with that but many other countries have caps or there
geographics allows them to build super fast networks at minimal costs. I
think BT are doing a good job and really what home user needs more than
2mbps?

What about upload speeds? They're severely crippled if you want to upload
files of a size of say 1GB.

Old February 15th 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
I think consumers will never be satisfied. Even in Hong Kong, the
broadband monthly fee is of ADSL 3Mb/640kb plan is just something
around HKD 170.
Even 6Mb ADSL plan is just around HKD200 with unlimited access.

For those who don`t know, HKD$1.00 is worth around 8p

So that's 6mb for £16. Just prove my point.