NTL Cable or DSL

Old February 15th 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adie

Default NTL Cable or DSL

Hi, I'm about to move into a new property which has previously had NTL
cable services installed, and it looks like an easy job to get it
reconnected. The question is though, should I bother, would I be
better off having a BT line installed and use ADSL?

I just want the line for internet connectivity, I'm not bothered about
standard telephony.

So, the issues I have a

What are the NTL line rental costs compared to BT's?

Do NTL supply the cable modem, and if so, what inteface does it have,
usb or ethernet?

Do NTL block any ports, such as smtp and http?

What's the deal with the 1gig cap?

Whats the service like overall, administration and telecoms?

Quite NTL specific questions, but I know ADSL and BT.

TIA.
Old February 15th 04, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Jones Super Hero

"Adie" wrote in message
s.com
Hi, I'm about to move into a new property which has previously had NTL
cable services installed, and it looks like an easy job to get it
reconnected. The question is though, should I bother, would I be
better off having a BT line installed and use ADSL?

I just want the line for internet connectivity, I'm not bothered about
standard telephony.

So, the issues I have a

What are the NTL line rental costs compared to BT's?

Don't know

Do NTL supply the cable modem, and if so, what interface does it have,
USB or Ethernet?

Yes and Both

Do NTL block any ports, such as SMTP and http?

No

What's the deal with the 1gig cap?

1 gig a day never got that far

What's the service like overall, administration and telecoms?

reasonable in my experience

Quite NTL specific questions, but I know ADSL and BT.

TIA.

HTH

Mike

--

New signature required bored with the old one Me

Old February 15th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim M

I'm in the process of getting rid of ntl cable and going across to ADSL.

Fed up with slowdowns and outages from NTL + I get 2MB ADSL for the same
price as I was paying for 1MB NTL.

--
---
Jim Main
s.com...

Old February 15th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adie

Jim M wrote:

I'm in the process of getting rid of ntl cable and going across to ADSL.

Fed up with slowdowns and outages from NTL + I get 2MB ADSL for the same
price as I was paying for 1MB NTL.

Hi, what did you pay for the line? Is it just a 24.99 charge a month
or are there line rental costs associated, as with BT?
Old February 15th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adie

Mike Jones Super Hero wrote:

/*...*/

HTH

It did, thanks.
Old February 15th 04, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:56:21 -0000, "Jim M"
wrote:

I'm in the process of getting rid of ntl cable and going across to ADSL.

I did the same here last autumn.

Fed up with slowdowns and outages from NTL +

Their service is appalling not to put to fine a point on it.

greg

--
You do a lot less thundering in the pulpit against the Harlot
after she marches right down the aisle and kicks you in the nuts.
Old February 15th 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gavin Gillespie

wrote:

I'm in the process of getting rid of ntl cable and going across to

ADSL.

I did the same here last autumn.

Fed up with slowdowns and outages from NTL +

Their service is appalling not to put to fine a point on it.

I shall probably be leaving NTL as soon as my local exchange gets ADSL
enabled next month.
NTL are continuously trying to screw more money out of customers,
whilst other suppliers seem to be lowering charges. NTL promise the
earth to get people signed up, and then that earth turns into
something similar looking.

Old February 15th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Adie" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi, I'm about to move into a new property which has

previously had NTL
cable services installed, and it looks like an easy job to

get it
reconnected. The question is though, should I bother,

would I be
better off having a BT line installed and use ADSL?

Having had both, I can offer some comparison.

I just want the line for internet connectivity, I'm not

bothered about
standard telephony.

So, the issues I have a

What are the NTL line rental costs compared to BT's?

probably more expensive. I have the 1meg svc from NTL,
34.99 per month, BT charge 38/month for 1meg

Do NTL supply the cable modem, and if so, what inteface

does it have,
usb or ethernet?

They supply either the modem, or set-top box, depending on
your area/requirements

Do NTL block any ports, such as smtp and http?

not that I've noticed.

What's the deal with the 1gig cap?

Difficult to say, I've downloaded more than the limits NTL
supposedly implement, without worry or consequence.

Whats the service like overall, administration and

telecoms?

Personally, never had a problem with NTL, other folks
mileage may vary.

I had BTOpenWorld for nearly 3 yrs, only moved for higher
speeds. Never had a problem with BT either.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

P.

Old February 15th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim M

It was 35 for 1MB NTL + phone rental (NTL)

35 for Central point (www.cpbb.co.uk) 2MB + phone rental (BT).

give or take a few pennies.

--
---
Jim Main
"Adie" wrote in message
s.com...

Old February 15th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:23:18 GMT, Adie
wrote:

Hi, I'm about to move into a new property which has previously had NTL
cable services installed, and it looks like an easy job to get it
reconnected. The question is though, should I bother, would I be
better off having a BT line installed and use ADSL?

I just want the line for internet connectivity, I'm not bothered about
standard telephony.

So, the issues I have a

What are the NTL line rental costs compared to BT's?

Marginally cheaper when I signed up.

Do NTL supply the cable modem, and if so, what inteface does it have,
usb or ethernet?

Yes and both types of connection.

Do NTL block any ports, such as smtp and http?

Not those ones, just some used by common trojans. They /do/ block the
netbios ports tho (135,137,139 etc). IMHO this is a good thing.

What's the deal with the 1gig cap?

its not being enforced, as far as anyone can discover. Some rumours
about it, but no evidence.

Whats the service like overall, administration and telecoms?

Internet connectivity is fine for me, email is average, news is ok for
text, lousy for binaries. They have a trial of a supposedly better
news service in progress. Meantine I use a 3rd party mail service
(spamcop, also removes spam/viruses) and binaries service.

Customer support is dire. Same as anywhere else...