Best Firewall software - Outpost or Zonealarm

Old February 15th 04, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zero

Default Best Firewall software - Outpost or Zonealarm

Or any other indeed

Zonealarm is the popular choice , read in 1 magazine only - about it
using up bandwidth but nowhere else

Outpost has a very different interface

Any expert opinions ?

thanks

Old February 15th 04, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:47:43 -0000, "zero"
wrote:

Or any other indeed

Zonealarm is the popular choice , read in 1 magazine only - about it
using up bandwidth but nowhere else

I use Za and don't notice it using any bandwidth at all.

I also use Blackice defender, also a nice product. For yet another box
I have Kerio, which is again acceptable.
Old February 15th 04, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Zonealarm is the popular choice , read in 1 magazine only - about it
using up bandwidth but nowhere else

I use Za and don't notice it using any bandwidth at all.

Never known ZA to use bandwidth or restrict traffic on any of the
numerous systems i`ve built / repaired / configured for people (mainly
using win98se)

I also use Blackice defender, also a nice product.

Blackice was only ever touted as an intrusion detector IIRC not a
firewall. It also (which might be fixed now) managed to miss several of
the most common trojans (www.grc.com listed them at one point IIRC)

For yet another box I have Kerio, which is again acceptable.

No experience of Kerio, so can`t comment :-p

Old February 16th 04, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:39:23 -0000, Colin Wilson
wrote:

(I said)
I also use Blackice defender, also a nice product.

Blackice was only ever touted as an intrusion detector IIRC not a
firewall. It also (which might be fixed now) managed to miss several of
the most common trojans (www.grc.com listed them at one point IIRC)

It seems that all these have been fixed.

Old February 16th 04, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

In message , zero
writes
Or any other indeed

Zonealarm is the popular choice , read in 1 magazine only - about it
using up bandwidth but nowhere else

Outpost has a very different interface

Any expert opinions ?

ZA is somewhat greedy on resources. Outpost is winning many accolades
and is arguably currently has the best security and features.

Outpost is certainly good though I found it a little "fussy" in
operation and went back to Kerio Personal Firewall which I'm a little
more used to. Also, if it's just for personal use, the full version of
KPF can be installed as, after 30 days, it disables a couple of features
(web blocking which I found too agressive anyway and don't need, and the
ability to act as a gateway firewall when using internet connection
sharing).

--
Julian Knight,
Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom.
Old February 16th 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

In message , Zapp Brannigan
writes
wrote:

Or any other indeed

Zonealarm is the popular choice , read in 1 magazine only - about it
using up bandwidth but nowhere else

I use Za and don't notice it using any bandwidth at all. I also
use Blackice defender, also a nice product. For yet another box
I have Kerio, which is again acceptable.

Not bandwidth, latency..

When I used to use it, I could seen Zone Alarms affect on ping tests,
that was enough for me to switch to another product... Kerio worked
well for me, until I went to broadband, and now I am behind a NAT, so
no firewall is needed (I am careful what I run...)

Sorry to disagree Mark, but you DO still need a personal firewall. There
are just too many ways to be infected by malware now to rely just on a
network firewall and anti-virus tool. Personal firewalls are highly
effective at spotting and crippling trojans and other spyware allowing
you to get rid of them before they cause damage to you and others.

Old February 16th 04, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

In message , Colin
Wilson writes
Zonealarm is the popular choice , read in 1 magazine only - about it
using up bandwidth but nowhere else

I use Za and don't notice it using any bandwidth at all.

Never known ZA to use bandwidth or restrict traffic on any of the
numerous systems i`ve built / repaired / configured for people (mainly
using win98se)

I also use Blackice defender, also a nice product.

Blackice was only ever touted as an intrusion detector IIRC not a
firewall. It also (which might be fixed now) managed to miss several of
the most common trojans (www.grc.com listed them at one point IIRC)

Yep, not recommended.

For yet another box I have Kerio, which is again acceptable.

No experience of Kerio, so can`t comment :-p

It's good. It runs (even the free version) as a service under NT/2k/XP
as well which makes it more secure.