wireless ADSL router comparison please.

Old February 16th 04, 12:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

Default wireless ADSL router comparison please.

I am about to set up ADSL via PLusNet
(that decision is made after much scouring of newsgroups)

I want to install a wireless router with built in ADSL
I have been recommended the following:

D-link (not 54g - 22mbs)
Linksys WAG54G-UK (54g)
Netgear DG834G (54g)
Draytek Vigor 2600We (not 54g?)

I know everyone will say the Draytek is the best - etc.
I really need constructive comparisons of these products as they do vary in
price and at the end of the day a cheaper model may do what I want just
fine...
But equally i don't want to buy something that will cause me problems.
I had decided that the Draytek was expensive and the Neatgear seemed next
best.
but a friend has the Dlink and likes it and dabs.com have great reviews for
the linksys

please help

regards

Ian

Old February 16th 04, 05:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike.P

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 00:49:07 -0000, "Ian Nelson"
wrote:

I want to install a wireless router with built in ADSL
I have been recommended the following:

D-link (not 54g - 22mbs)
Linksys WAG54G-UK (54g)
Netgear DG834G (54g)
Draytek Vigor 2600We (not 54g?)

I bought a USRobotics USR9106 last week...54g and it came with a free
laptop card (which I couldn't use) so had to buy a Pci card for it.
I have never bothered with networking before but I had the
modem/router up and running in 10 mins and wireless in 25.
Has been going since Tuesday without one dropped connection or any
problem.
I started looking at the d-link before deciding I needed 54g then
decided to go for the Netgear but was told by the company selling it
that it still had a few problems and they recommended the USR.

Couldn't be happier..I get a very good signal with the pc
upstairs...the only problem I have is the wife decided to have a go (I
wouldn't let her use my machine) and I haven't seen her since.

Maybe that's a good thing though :-)

--
The Sopranos season 5 will premiere Sunday, March 7th, 2004
Old February 16th 04, 05:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adie

"Ian Nelson" wrote:

I am about to set up ADSL via PLusNet
(that decision is made after much scouring of newsgroups)

I want to install a wireless router with built in ADSL
I have been recommended the following:

D-link (not 54g - 22mbs)
Linksys WAG54G-UK (54g)
Netgear DG834G (54g)
Draytek Vigor 2600We (not 54g?)

Well, I use the linksys at work and a netgear at home and AFAIC the
only useful comparison to make -- considering the similarity of
features -- is how often the router freezes and needs rebooting. The
linksys has needed zero reboots in 4 months, the netgear around 30.

But, I'm still very happy with both bits of kit.
Old February 16th 04, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message m, Adie
writes
I want to install a wireless router with built in ADSL
I have been recommended the following:

D-link (not 54g - 22mbs)
Linksys WAG54G-UK (54g)
Netgear DG834G (54g)
Draytek Vigor 2600We (not 54g?)

Well, I use the linksys at work and a netgear at home and AFAIC the
only useful comparison to make -- considering the similarity of
features -- is how often the router freezes and needs rebooting. The
linksys has needed zero reboots in 4 months, the netgear around 30.

But, I'm still very happy with both bits of kit.

There do seem to be issues with some people with that particular netgear
product.
Another option is go for the Netgear WGR614 (70) and a separate modem
like Origo 8000 (25 inc from ebuyer).

The 614 doesn't seem to have the issues of the 834. If you get a
thunderstorm and the modem gets zapped, you stand a good chance of only
having to replace a 25 piece of kit, and as I have this combo myself,
I'm very happy with it, its on 24/7, and so far, has never needed
rebooting and has recovered by itself through power cuts and telephone
outages.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old February 16th 04, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

Thanks

The only issue I see with the WGR614 is that it does not support 802.11b -
is this right?

Does it have all the firewall etc. features of the DG834G?

regards

Ian

"Gareth Jones" wrote in message
In message m, Adie
writes

Old February 16th 04, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Ian Nelson
writes
The only issue I see with the WGR614 is that it does not support 802.11b -
is this right?

No, it supports the b AND the faster g

Does it have all the firewall etc. features of the DG834G?

I have not checked like for like, but I believe so.
Put it like this, it has comprehensive firewall and router capabilities
and I doubt if most people would want anything it doesn't have.

PC world have got them on a sale at the moment BTW.
Old February 16th 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ian Nelson" wrote in message
I am about to set up ADSL via PLusNet
(that decision is made after much scouring of newsgroups)

I want to install a wireless router with built in ADSL
I have been recommended the following:

D-link (not 54g - 22mbs)
Linksys WAG54G-UK (54g)
Netgear DG834G (54g)
Draytek Vigor 2600We (not 54g?)

I would also consider the Belkin 7630 (54G)

Ebuyer.com and Amazon's pricing is often better than Dabs.

You may also want to read/post on
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...oard=dslrouter

Regards
Sunil

Old February 20th 04, 01:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ian Nelson" wrote in message
Strangely maybe I had discounted the Linksys stuff
but just found some reviews on dabs.com, adslguide.org.uk and ebuyer that
suggest the Linksys 54g adsl wireless router/modem is good kit with Cisco
links...

Yes, Cisco purchased Linksys a couple of months ago but I don't think that
they have had any chance yet to make any impact on the companies products.

Regards
Sunil