phones and extensions not work with adsl

Old February 16th 04, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

Default phones and extensions not work with adsl

My neighbour has installed ADSL
When the extensions in the house are connected - his ADSL won't work
Also when ADSL in use he can't use his phone

Does anyone know why this might be and what he can do?

regards

Ian

Old February 16th 04, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NAZGUL

"Ian Nelson" wrote in message
My neighbour has installed ADSL
When the extensions in the house are connected - his ADSL won't work
Also when ADSL in use he can't use his phone

Does anyone know why this might be and what he can do?

regards

Ian

-----------------------
Does he have micro filters on all phone sockets? if not this is the problem,
if he does then it may be that one of them is not working as it should in
which case if you are on ADSL try one of yours and see if this solves it if
it does then he needs to get a new one to replace the bad one.

Dave

Old February 16th 04, 01:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

Thanks for your reply

Unfortunately I am not on ADSL yet...

Would the lack of a filter on extension lines cause the ADSL itself to not
sync and connect though?

Ian

"NAZGUL" wrote in message
s.com...

Old February 16th 04, 06:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Ian Nelson wrote:
Would the lack of a filter on extension lines cause the ADSL itself to not
sync and connect though?

It shouldn't have any effect on ADSL. The output of a filter unit that is
labelled "ADSL" is actually connected straight through, so as far as your
ADSL equipment is concerned the device is only acting as an adaptor.

Rod.

Old February 16th 04, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 00:56:38 -0000, "Ian Nelson"
wrote:

My neighbour has installed ADSL
When the extensions in the house are connected - his ADSL won't work
Also when ADSL in use he can't use his phone

Does anyone know why this might be and what he can do?

regards

What is the exact setup?
How many extension points are ther and how many of these have phones?
Does he have individual filters on all extension sockets or one main
filter on the BT master socket?
Hve you checked wiring throughout, there could be a crossed pair
somewhere.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old February 16th 04, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Roderick Stewart
writes
Would the lack of a filter on extension lines cause the ADSL itself to not
sync and connect though?

It shouldn't have any effect on ADSL. The output of a filter unit that is
labelled "ADSL" is actually connected straight through, so as far as your
ADSL equipment is concerned the device is only acting as an adaptor.

This isn't correct.
Using a device on the same unfiltered line as the ADSL modem can
certainly cause loss of sync.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old February 16th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:09:14 +0000, Gareth Jones
wrote:

In message , Roderick Stewart
writes
Would the lack of a filter on extension lines cause the ADSL itself to not
sync and connect though?

It shouldn't have any effect on ADSL. The output of a filter unit that is
labelled "ADSL" is actually connected straight through, so as far as your
ADSL equipment is concerned the device is only acting as an adaptor.

This isn't correct.
Using a device on the same unfiltered line as the ADSL modem can
certainly cause loss of sync.

You have confused the issue here. Providing there is no analogue
equiment connected to the line, irespective of the number of
extensions connected, there is absolutely no need for a filter.

Even when an analogue device is added to the line, a filter is ONLY
required for that device. So the ADSL modem can be connected directly
to the line on the extension socket, Period.

I know its bloody confusing but the adapter should really be called an
analogue filter for use on ADSL lines, then we would all know what it
is about.

David Bradley

Old February 16th 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , David Bradley
writes
Would the lack of a filter on extension lines cause the ADSL itself to not
sync and connect though?

It shouldn't have any effect on ADSL. The output of a filter unit that is
labelled "ADSL" is actually connected straight through, so as far as your
ADSL equipment is concerned the device is only acting as an adaptor.

This isn't correct.
Using a device on the same unfiltered line as the ADSL modem can
certainly cause loss of sync.

You have confused the issue here. Providing there is no analogue
equiment connected to the line, irespective of the number of
extensions connected, there is absolutely no need for a filter.

Yes and no.
True, I may have misinterpreted the original poster. I made an
assumption that there was something connected on the end of the
extension line. Especially as the OP said the phone wouldn't work with
the ADSL on. I may however have got it wrong.

The 'no' bit refers to a posting I made a few weeks ago when my ADSL
line refused to work without a filter being connected - even if it was
the only thing in circuit.
I know what you are going to say, and a month ago I'd have agreed with
you.
Do a google.

Even when an analogue device is added to the line, a filter is ONLY
required for that device. So the ADSL modem can be connected directly
to the line on the extension socket, Period.

I guess _you_ might have confused the issue here. The OPs scenario might
be a normal splitter (t-piece), one branch going to the ADSL modem and a
microfilter (or not) on the end, the other branch going off somewhere,
and a normal telephone connected without a filter. Which won't work
properly. Period.

Old February 16th 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:39:14 +0000, Gareth Jones
wrote:

In message , David Bradley
writes
[...]

I think we need to nail this one on the head. Please have a look at
the wiring diagram for a typical filter that is shown at the bottom of
the page of: http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php where we
can clearly see that the ADSL 'service' is straight through. There is
nothing on the analogue leg that would affect or enhance the ADSL
signal especially if there was no analogue equipment connected. So
what is a search with Google going to achieve? In your particular
case where you inserted a filter in the line to your ADSL modem
suggests to me that a good electrical connection was not being made in
the first instance and through 'disturbing' the connection one was
achieved. In can be nothing more than that.

Even when an analogue device is added to the line, a filter is ONLY
required for that device. So the ADSL modem can be connected directly
to the line on the extension socket, Period.

I guess _you_ might have confused the issue here. The OPs scenario might
be a normal splitter (t-piece), one branch going to the ADSL modem and a
microfilter (or not) on the end, the other branch going off somewhere,
and a normal telephone connected without a filter. Which won't work
properly. Period.

Understand and agree with your conclusion for the set up as described
in this paragraph.

David Bradley

Old February 18th 04, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:49:12 +0000, Gareth Jones
wrote:

In message , David Bradley
writes
The 'no' bit refers to a posting I made a few weeks ago when my ADSL
line refused to work without a filter being connected - even if it was
the only thing in circuit.
I know what you are going to say, and a month ago I'd have agreed with
you.
Do a google.

I think we need to nail this one on the head. Please have a look at
the wiring diagram for a typical filter that is shown at the bottom of
the page of: http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php where we
can clearly see that the ADSL 'service' is straight through. There is
nothing on the analogue leg that would affect or enhance the ADSL
signal especially if there was no analogue equipment connected. So
what is a search with Google going to achieve?

A search on google for my previous posting would achieve the result of
not having to repeat the whole thing here.

I was only asking for a URL that you had read that made you change
your mind on a previously held belief. I am sorry thsat was too much
to ask for.

In your particular
case where you inserted a filter in the line to your ADSL modem
suggests to me that a good electrical connection was not being made in
the first instance and through 'disturbing' the connection one was
achieved. In can be nothing more than that.

You are making a definitive statement based on nothing more than an
assumption that 'suggests' something to you.

Not at all, It was but one step in a diagnostic pattern to determine
why the set of circustances that you described made a previously
unstable ADSL connection work. I made a suggestion which might explain
what had happened.

In the light of you not knowing the facts, it would be unwise to jump to
such erroneous conclusions.

Of course, from a distance, I can't possibly know all the
circumstances relating to your particular installation, I can only
make observations based on the limited amount of information posted.
Like so many other contributors to this newsgroup, each makes an
effort to offer solutions based on their personal experiences and
technical knowledge. Somtimes the answers may not be right and
therefore more fuctual information or a definative answer is
appreciated. Sadly you provided neither.

And just because the ADSL connection of a microfilter is 'straight
through' does not mean that the LCR components connected in parallel
will have no effect on the signal.
A rather extreme analogy would be to say that in a car, a piece of
equipment plugged into the cigarette lighter that is 'straight through'
to the battery will not be affected by anything else such as turning the
starter motor over.......

In an ADSL filter the analogue connection is 'teed-off' and the
components remain inactive until such time as an analogue device is
connected.

I want to come back to your original statement which said "my ADSL
line refused to work without a filter being connected - even if it was
the only thing in circuit"; the word ONLY is the key here, introducing
the filter into the circuit was not be the magic potion that made the
ADSL suddenly all work - it was something else. Your analogy about a
car cigarette lighter is not revelent in this context.

David Bradley