ADSL and wireless speeds

Old February 16th 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

Default ADSL and wireless speeds

Is ADSL faster or slower than 11mpbs?

Thus do I need 54g for ADSL?

Are there any other issues to consider?

Ian

Old February 16th 04, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:55:32 -0000, "Ian Nelson"
wrote:

Is ADSL faster or slower than 11mpbs?

ADSL is slower.

Thus do I need 54g for ADSL?

No, you don't need wireless for ADSL.

Are there any other issues to consider?

What are you trying to achieve? - you will get helpful answers if you
provide an overview.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old February 16th 04, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"Ian Nelson" wrote in message
Is ADSL faster or slower than 11mpbs?

Thus do I need 54g for ADSL?

Are there any other issues to consider?

Ian

A 'standard' ADSL deal would be 512kb/s download and 256kb/s upload speeds.
512kb/s equals 0.5mb/s so wireless speed should be ample.
Faster (and slower) ADSL packages are available - including 1mb/s and 2mb/s
download speeds.
You can see that even these faster ADSL connections shouldn't be too much
for wireless.

Issues to consider - i know very little about wireless products but read
that the quoted speeds of a device are 'claimed maximums' in optimal
conditions - the devices average a lower throughput in practice and a less
than optimal setup can severely reduce the device's effective speed.
Someone with more knowledge of wireless may care to elaborate..

Martin.

Old February 16th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Martin
writes
Is ADSL faster or slower than 11mpbs?

Thus do I need 54g for ADSL?

Are there any other issues to consider?

Ian

A 'standard' ADSL deal would be 512kb/s download and 256kb/s upload speeds.
512kb/s equals 0.5mb/s so wireless speed should be ample.
Faster (and slower) ADSL packages are available - including 1mb/s and 2mb/s
download speeds.
You can see that even these faster ADSL connections shouldn't be too much
for wireless.

Issues to consider - i know very little about wireless products but read
that the quoted speeds of a device are 'claimed maximums' in optimal
conditions - the devices average a lower throughput in practice and a less
than optimal setup can severely reduce the device's effective speed.
Someone with more knowledge of wireless may care to elaborate..

Ian,
No, you don't need 54g for ADSL. Because as has been pointed out, even
an 802.11b link at 11Mb/s is still around 20 times faster!
However I find that for general file transfer between machine to
machine, the extra speed of the 54g is noticeable.
E.g. - you can't stream a DVD realtime over a 11b link - you can with a
54g

And yes, as Martin has pointed out, the 54Mb/s is a fairly optimistic
max figure (as is the 11Mb/s of the b) so it makes sense to get the
faster one to start with!

I also believe that the 54g has a potentially longer coverage range
(albeit at reduced speeds) and trust me - it aint as wide as you might
think!

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old February 16th 04, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

Thanks for the replies

I am looking to go for ADSL Home 512K package from plusNet

I want to set up a wireless router system so I can use my work laptop around
the house without trailing wires.

I have a good idea the Draytek range is the best but very expensive.

I was also starting to look at whether I need 11 or 54mbps... hence the
thread.
most say 11mbps overkill anyway so not need 54 but then suggest 54 future
proofs option which is what i was thinking anyway

I am really unsure on what kit to get and to be honest the threads confuse
more - there seems to be no clear order of good to bad kit.

Netgear 54g comes out well but then has lots of threads about falling over,
rebooting required etc.

As I mentioned I haven't seen much negative about Draytek - apart from
extortionate costs!

I have also had suggested Dlink and Linksys

Along with this is the recent thread about the 1 port router fro ebuyer at
30.

and then attaching a wireless access point ...???
cheaper? - maybe
better - who knows
safer - idea being two pieces of kit - one fails - still have 2nd rather
than loosing it all in one
what to get - arrgghhh - even less idea

It all seems a bit messy and there seems to be no correct answer...

help :-)

Ian

"Gareth Jones" wrote in message
In message , Martin
writes

Old February 16th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Ian Nelson
writes
It all seems a bit messy and there seems to be no correct answer...

help :-)

All I can tell you is that I've got the ebuyer 8000 modem and the
netgear 614.
We've got half a dozen PC's networked up here at home behind the netgear
firewall, I use my works laptop wirefree with it. I've been involved
with computers on a professional level one way or another for 20 years,
I'm a fussy ******* who likes things to work properly.... and I'm very
happy with the setup so far :-)

Oh, I'm with Demon.
A friend who is with Plusnet has a binatone ethernet modem (don't
ask...) but the same Netgear 614. He does a load of far more complex
stuff than me with his setup, and he has no probs either.

You'll always find someone who has had problems with any piece of kit.
Hey - my 614 is the original v1, maybe the newer ones might have some
more bugs??

Messy? Well, things are not always straightforward in the real world as
it stands at the moment.
But at least you know you'll get support with my suggestions ;-)

Old February 16th 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

Thankyou
you have been very helpful

Old February 16th 04, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Gareth Jones wrote:
You'll always find someone who has had problems with any piece of kit.

This is true, but if you read the relevant newsgroups (such as this one)
for a while, you'll gradually realise that some equipment names are
being mentioned more frequently than others, some in connection with
problems, and some as positive recommendations from owners who never
have problems. Read, and draw your own conclusions.

Personally, I'm glad I was able to read the real truth about ADSL
equipment from actual owners before I bought any for myself. What I
ended up with wasn't the cheapest you can buy, but I'm confident that
I've got the right thing, and possibly avoided a whole heap of trouble.

Rod.