New ADSL ETHERNET Modem Recommends?

Old February 16th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Default New ADSL ETHERNET Modem Recommends?

Ok, I've finally accepted that D-Link is crap!
They've had my modem for nearly a week now (RMA'd) and still no sign of a
replacement.
Any recommendations for an ADSL Ethernet modem (not router, nor router/modem
combo - just ETHERNET modem) which is reliable, with decent support - and
works?

Paul

Old February 16th 04, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:40:29 +0000, Paul King wrote:

Ok, I've finally accepted that D-Link is crap!
They've had my modem for nearly a week now (RMA'd) and still no sign of a
replacement.
Any recommendations for an ADSL Ethernet modem (not router, nor router/modem
combo - just ETHERNET modem) which is reliable, with decent support - and
works?

Firstly the D-Link does indeed work. Mine has been working for five months
without a problem, and the one at work has been working for a slightly
longer period also without problem.

Yes the IP address is renewed every 20 seconds, but this *DOES NOT*
stop it working.

Aside from that there are *very* few ADSL Ethernet modems still in
production. The D-Link device being one of them. When I was looking
for one six months ago, it was the only one I could find on the market.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195

Old February 16th 04, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Jonathan
Buzzard writes
Aside from that there are *very* few ADSL Ethernet modems still in
production. The D-Link device being one of them. When I was looking
for one six months ago, it was the only one I could find on the market.

Ebuyer's value origo8000 modem - around 25

Argos sell a binatone one for around 55

I've got the former, a mate has the latter, both work fine. I'd go the
ebuyer route myself.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old February 16th 04, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"Jonathan Buzzard" wrote in message
news
Firstly the D-Link does indeed work. Mine has been working for five months
without a problem, and the one at work has been working for a slightly
longer period also without problem.

Yes the IP address is renewed every 20 seconds, but this *DOES NOT*
stop it working.

Aside from that there are *very* few ADSL Ethernet modems still in
production. The D-Link device being one of them. When I was looking
for one six months ago, it was the only one I could find on the market.

Agreed, Jonathan, but this is a little deeper! I've been unable to connect
(or the connection drops after say 30 secs - 1 Minute) for nearly two weeks
now! Pipex and BT have done extensive line tests and when I contacted D-Link
about it, they ran tests and condemned the ADSL modem. I sent it back to
them as requested but, numerous e-mails to them to chivvy them up have been
unfruitful - I even got a reply asking me to sign up to their "European
Service Portal" where I could e-mail them and track my problem by entering
the Case ID they had provided..... did same, entered Case ID and...... nada,
no Case ID report, so now I don't even know *WHAT* they're doing.

If, as you say, time has marched on and Ethernet ADSL modems are no longer
available, then this is going to prove a *VERY* costly exercise for 5 months
broadband access!
Paul

---

Old February 16th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fish

Paul King wrote:
Ok, I've finally accepted that D-Link is crap!
They've had my modem for nearly a week now (RMA'd) and still no sign of a
replacement.
Any recommendations for an ADSL Ethernet modem (not router, nor router/modem
combo - just ETHERNET modem) which is reliable, with decent support - and
works?

Paul

Why not chase D-Link for a new one? With kit that small and cheap, they
may well bin dodgy ones rather than try to mend them anyway.

There is the www.adslnation.co.uk X-modem CE for roughly the same price.
Small, a bit flimsy all round in my experience but does the job. Got one
here. Reportedly not compatible with all routers. Assumes you'll be
connecting direct to the PC. Has the same dhcp server whether you like
it or not setup as the D-Link (set to 10.0.02, I think). Renews leases
pretty fast but not at every 6 seconds like my (faulty) D-Link. There's
a review on adslguide.org

See my post in earlier thread about using the D-Link 300g+ in bridge
mode with a router than can authenticate and manage its own PPOE
connection. This works around the dhcp stuff and is proving fast and
stable here. However, chances are that you'll only be able to do this on
BT exchange that allows PPOE in the first place?? I think they're
gradualy introducing it around the place.

Fish

Old February 19th 04, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Benedict Addis

"Gareth Jones" wrote in message
In message , Jonathan
Buzzard writes
Aside from that there are *very* few ADSL Ethernet modems still in
production. The D-Link device being one of them. When I was looking
for one six months ago, it was the only one I could find on the market.

Ebuyer's value origo8000 modem - around 25

Argos sell a binatone one for around 55

I've got the former, a mate has the latter, both work fine. I'd go the
ebuyer route myself.

No, I'm afraid Jonathan is right - there are very few true ethernet ADSL
*modems* - as opposed to the modem / routers you mention. A modem / router -
a broadband router with a built-in ADSL modem - will always take an IP
address, which means that they're no good for many applications. A true ADSL
modem will pass on the IP address assigned by the ISP to whatever's plugged
into it - this is called bridging (or half-bridging).

However, most true modems will not work in the UK, because there is no
standard way to convert from UK standard PPPoA to IP over Ethernet. Those
that do work use a kludge on the modem-PC link to do so. These kludges
include on-the-fly PPPoA to PPPoE conversion (3COM), PPTP connection
(Alcatel), and some form of ARP hack (Dlink).

Here at ITchest, we reckon that the Dlink does a pretty decent job, but if
you don't like it you could consider the 3COM Dual Link with both USB and
ethernet connections:
www.itchest.co.uk/3com.aspx.

Benedict.

--
Add the 'co' to reply
www.itchest.co.uk

Old February 20th 04, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon G Best

Benedict Addis wrote:

No, I'm afraid Jonathan is right - there are very few true ethernet ADSL
*modems* - as opposed to the modem / routers you mention. [...] A true ADSL
modem will pass on the IP address assigned by the ISP to whatever's plugged
into it - this is called bridging (or half-bridging).

A bridge happens to be what I want. Do you happen to know if the Addon
router/bridge in the Maplin catalogue (order code A12BF, page 425) is
any good?

However, most true modems will not work in the UK, because there is no
standard way to convert from UK standard PPPoA to IP over Ethernet. [...]

:-(

Simon

Old February 20th 04, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Benedict Addis

Here is the direct link to the datasheet:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...moduleno=37104

I don't know this particular product, but it seems like overkill to buy a
four-port router just to use as a bridge - especially as it's overpriced for
an unbranded router.

If it uses the Conexant chipset, then it should support transparent
half-bridging, which is what you need. The datasheet implies that it does,
but this could have been written for the US.

You may be better off with the 3COM, which is a lot cheaper:
www.itchest.co.uk/3com.aspx

Hope this helps.

Benedict.
--
Add the 'co' to reply
www.itchest.co.uk

"Simon G Best" wrote in message
Benedict Addis wrote:

No, I'm afraid Jonathan is right - there are very few true ethernet ADSL
*modems* - as opposed to the modem / routers you mention. [...] A true

ADSL
modem will pass on the IP address assigned by the ISP to whatever's

plugged
into it - this is called bridging (or half-bridging).

A bridge happens to be what I want. Do you happen to know if the Addon
router/bridge in the Maplin catalogue (order code A12BF, page 425) is
any good?

However, most true modems will not work in the UK, because there is no
standard way to convert from UK standard PPPoA to IP over Ethernet.

[...]

:-(

Simon

Old February 23rd 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon G Best

Benedict Addis wrote:

[...]

I don't know this particular product, but it seems like overkill to buy a
four-port router just to use as a bridge - especially as it's overpriced for
an unbranded router.

Well, I don't want only a bridge. What I wish to have is a router, at
least to begin with. But I'd also like to be able to configure it as a
bridge later on.

If it uses the Conexant chipset, then it should support transparent
half-bridging, which is what you need. The datasheet implies that it does,
but this could have been written for the US.

You may be better off with the 3COM, which is a lot cheaper:
www.itchest.co.uk/3com.aspx

Hope this helps.

Benedict.

Thanks for that useful info!