The unsolvable ADSL problem

Old February 16th 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave

Default The unsolvable ADSL problem

Hi all,

Does anybody have any suggestions for tracking down ADSL interference?

I have a problem which seems to always show up at night, sometimes in
the day time and almost never in the morning as far as I can tell.

Every other aspect has been checked (the ISP, the cables, the modem,
the computer, the network card, the splitter, believe me - everything)
and after 2 weeks of daily calls to the DSLAM techs at my telco I am
pretty sure they are not to blame.

What is weird is that I don't lose sync, I don't get any errors
reported by the modem and line statistics (noise level, attenuation,
etc) do not change when the problem occurs.

The exact symptoms are as follows;

A ping to my ISP's gateway (first hop) measured when the line is idle,
increases from an average of about 35ms to an average of 60-100ms.

Downloads decrease from 48k/sec (its a 384kbps line) to anywhere
between 24-38k/sec and line latency while downloading gets incredibly
high, between 1800 and 3500ms (it is around 900-1100ms under normal
conditions).

The strangest thing is that a VOIP app I use (www.mywebcalls.com)
causes the latency to continuously increase until no more data is
received, even though this app only transfers between 2-4K/sec! Under
normal conditions my average ping while using this app is about 55ms.

The problem occasionally occurs for short periods of time but usually
goes on for at least 4-5 hours.

Any ideas?

The modem is a Zyxel 650R-33 (ADSL over ISDN) connected to a Siemens
DSLAM and the symptoms are the same no matter which ISP I use.

Cheers,
-dave
Old February 19th 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave

Well I believe the problem is now solved now that I have been switched
to interleaved mode.

And it turns out I spoke too soon.

Any suggestions anyone?

Cheers,
dave
Old February 20th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike E

"Simon Dobbs" wrote in message
.uk...
| On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:20:42 +0000, dave wrote
| (in message ) :
|
| unsolvable
|
| that'll be insoluble in English

You should look in the dictionary. He doesn't wish to dilute the problem, he
wishes to solve it. According to Concise Oxford English Dictionary, page
1178 in my edition, it is the correct word and in the correct context.

Regards

Mike.

Old February 20th 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike E

"Simon Dobbs" wrote in message
.uk...
| On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:43:46 +0000, Mike E wrote
| (in message ):
|
| He doesn't wish to dilute the problem
|
| soluble has two meanings- one is to provide a SOLUtion to a problem- as
far
| as I am concerned this is the correct usage - your solvable is a needless
| modernisation when a word already exists

Ok Simon, I bow down to your obviously superior English.
However, in a thread, Subject: Go to bed, Rowland, to which you posted
on uk.comp.sys.mac, you used the word "********". Did you know that is an
"unnecessary" modernization if the word ballocks?

Regards

Mike

Old February 20th 04, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike E

"Simon Dobbs" wrote in message
.uk...
| On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:55:33 +0000, Mike E wrote
| (in message ):
|

| "Simon Dobbs" wrote in message
| .uk...
| On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:43:46 +0000, Mike E wrote
| (in message ):
|
| He doesn't wish to dilute the problem
|
| soluble has two meanings- one is to provide a SOLUtion to a problem- as
| far
| as I am concerned this is the correct usage - your solvable is a
needless
| modernisation when a word already exists
|

| Ok Simon, I bow down to your obviously superior English.
| However, in a thread, Subject: Go to bed, Rowland, to which you
posted
| on uk.comp.sys.mac, you used the word "********". Did you know that is
an
| "unnecessary" modernization if the word ballocks?
|
| Regards
|
| Mike
|

| certainly didn't- and you have a very long memory, good Sir
| I know I am a pedant, but I had 'soluble' beaten into me at school

Shakes hands with Simon. End of discussion.

Mike

Old February 20th 04, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
G Crozier

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:43:46 -0000, "Mike E" wrote:

"Simon Dobbs" wrote in message
o.uk...
| On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:20:42 +0000, dave wrote
| (in message ) :
|
| unsolvable
|
| that'll be insoluble in English

You should look in the dictionary. He doesn't wish to dilute the problem, he
wishes to solve it. According to Concise Oxford English Dictionary, page
1178 in my edition, it is the correct word and in the correct context.

And if we are all going to have to consult a dictionary before typing
a single word here then we might has well not bother contributing
damn it we are not all uni professors or have attened a grammer or
high school .
Grant .
Old February 20th 04, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike E

Fair comment

"G Crozier" wrote in message
| On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:43:46 -0000, "Mike E" wrote:
|

| "Simon Dobbs" wrote in message
| o.uk...
| | On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:20:42 +0000, dave wrote
| | (in message ) :
| |
| | unsolvable
| |

Old February 20th 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave

Any suggestions anyone?

Well I just tried a different PSU as its the only thing that hasnt
been swapped or tested in any way and I found that with another PSU of
the same rating the modem would not sync at all.

I plugged its own PSU back in and got a perfect connection, top speed,
18-40ms idle latency (with the odd high latency packet) and max 300ms
latency when downloading.

dave
Old February 22nd 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harvey Van Sickle

On 20 Feb 2004, Simon Dobbs wrote

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:43:46 +0000, Mike E wrote
(in message ):

He doesn't wish to dilute the problem

soluble has two meanings- one is to provide a SOLUtion to a
problem- as far as I am concerned this is the correct usage - your
solvable is a needless modernisation when a word already exists

Depends on one's definition of modern.

OED1 has a cite from 1676 for this sense of "solvable"; that's fairly
venerable.

--
Cheers,
Harvey