Which laptop card

Old February 18th 04, 05:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Default Which laptop card

In uk.telecom.broadband Julian Fowler wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:40:28 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband Drew wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband Steve Pearce * wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:46:03 -0000, "Scampi"
wrote:

My machine is about 3/4 years old now so not sure which of the two cards
I'd
need. Its a P3-500 so its not that old (I think). I'll try and dig out
the
manual or give Toshiba a call, unless anyone knows which one I need?

I recently put a Cardbus wireless card in a really old laptop (P166),
it worked without a hitch.

Anything over a P233 or so pretty much is going to have cardbus.
Some machines under that speed may not support Cardbus cards.
Anything under a P150 or so will almost certainly not.

Sorry but my p133 is running a cardbus network card just fine (fujitsu
lifebook)

Ok, maybe P120 then.

The one machine I have that I know for sure doesn't work w/ Cardbus is
(gulp!) a 1995 vintage 486. So maybe the advice should be "unless
your laptop belongs in a museum, Cardbus and PCMCIA cards will work
equally well" :-)

I have several 486/75 laptops that are still used.
They are slow, but fine for some things.
As a static display, and remote terminal for monitoring things they
are fine.
Old February 18th 04, 05:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Fowler

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:37:32 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband Julian Fowler wrote:

snip/
The one machine I have that I know for sure doesn't work w/ Cardbus is
(gulp!) a 1995 vintage 486. So maybe the advice should be "unless
your laptop belongs in a museum, Cardbus and PCMCIA cards will work
equally well" :-)

I have several 486/75 laptops that are still used.
They are slow, but fine for some things.
As a static display, and remote terminal for monitoring things they
are fine.

Absolutely: amongst other things, I use my 486/75 as a
lowest-common-denominator machine for testing websites.

--
Julian Fowler
Old February 18th 04, 09:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband Julian Fowler wrote:

snip/
The one machine I have that I know for sure doesn't work w/ Cardbus is
(gulp!) a 1995 vintage 486. So maybe the advice should be "unless
your laptop belongs in a museum, Cardbus and PCMCIA cards will work
equally well" :-)

I have several 486/75 laptops that are still used.
They are slow, but fine for some things.
As a static display, and remote terminal for monitoring things they
are fine.

Absolutely: amongst other things, I use my 486/75 as a
lowest-common-denominator machine for testing websites.

You have to go back a bit.
I find netscape 3 quite acceptible in speed for general browsing.
4 gets very slow.
Old February 19th 04, 08:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Fowler

wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband Julian Fowler wrote:

snip/
The one machine I have that I know for sure doesn't work w/ Cardbus is
(gulp!) a 1995 vintage 486. So maybe the advice should be "unless
your laptop belongs in a museum, Cardbus and PCMCIA cards will work
equally well" :-)

I have several 486/75 laptops that are still used.
They are slow, but fine for some things.
As a static display, and remote terminal for monitoring things they
are fine.

Absolutely: amongst other things, I use my 486/75 as a
lowest-common-denominator machine for testing websites.

You have to go back a bit.
I find netscape 3 quite acceptible in speed for general browsing.
4 gets very slow.

I wasn't thinking specifically of browsers (although I do have some
fairly antique versions of NS, IE, and Opera on there). Until
relatively recently, a good website design was one that would be
legible and usable on screen resolutions as low as 640x480, which is
what my 486/75 laptop has.

Julian

--
Julian Fowler